Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pigsah Pale Ale recipe  (Read 6006 times)

Offline brazilhead

• 1st Kit
Pigsah Pale Ale recipe
« on: July 22, 2010, 10:18:26 pm »
Can someone get me close to this one?

Their site doesn't offer much; just the following: "Our pale ale is a perfect blend of rich organic malts with whole leaf Chinook and Mount Hood hops. A crisp, clean profile makes this beer distinct. 31.8 IBU"

Any ideas? Thanks in advance, ;)

John

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Pigsah Pale Ale recipe
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 10:32:35 am »
Who makes it?  Never heard of it before.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 11:56:34 am »
I'm going to guess "Highland Brewery" or some brewery in or around Asheville, NC since Pisgah national forest is near there.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 12:01:03 pm »
We also have a Mt. Pisgah here in Eugene, though.  That;s why this post caught my eye.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 12:44:01 pm »
I'm going to guess "Highland Brewery" or some brewery in or around Asheville, NC since Pisgah national forest is near there.

Asheville it is:  http://pisgahbrewing.com/
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline brazilhead

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 06:13:44 pm »
Oh damn, mistyped the name. Yeah, that's the one.

Offline troy@uk

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 09:19:35 pm »
Yes, it is in Asheville, we enjoy this Pale very much.  I would suggest contacting the brewery directly or you can contact Alex at http://hopsandvines.net/ , this is one of our LHBSs and he is very good with the local clones.  He is also very free with his knowledge and recipies.  Make sure you tell him if you want all grain or extract.
Now there are fields where Troy once stood....  OVID

Offline brazilhead

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010, 07:37:40 am »
Thanks Troy. I´ll do that.

Offline brazilhead

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2010, 06:04:19 pm »
Well, Alex at www.hopsandvines.net HAS been very helpful. He gave me a recipe that Promash calculates to roughly 1.064 OG and 66 IBUs. As I want to make this for a buddy who's coming to visit and I haven't tried it yet, would you all say that's in the ballpark? Bigger than I expected.

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2010, 07:51:40 pm »
Well, Alex at www.hopsandvines.net HAS been very helpful. He gave me a recipe that Promash calculates to roughly 1.064 OG and 66 IBUs. As I want to make this for a buddy who's coming to visit and I haven't tried it yet, would you all say that's in the ballpark? Bigger than I expected.

Didn't the website excerpt you posted originally say 31.8 IBU?  66 is quite a difference
Joe

Offline brazilhead

• 1st Kit
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2010, 09:20:59 pm »
Hokerer, you're absolutely right. I was envisioning this beer as something along the lines of a SNPA, with a gravity of around 1.052 and the IBUs cited on the site. Alex hasn't gotten back to me to clarify. Here's the text he wrote me in the email:

5 Gallons Pisgah Pale
11# Organic Briess 2-row
1.5# Organic Briess Munich
.75# Organic Briess Crystal 40
1oz Chinook 60
1oz Mt. hood 20
1oz Chinook/1oz Mt. Hood Dry Hop 56 days

I'm guessing the dry hop was 5-6 days?

So I think I'll just maintain these proportions and shoot for the 52 gravity points and 32IBUs. Anyone who's tried this care to opine?

Thanks, John

Offline brazilhead

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2011, 08:50:40 pm »
Well just to post a follow-up, I finally brewed this one up and I think I've finally found my malt bill for my house APA. I targeted this for 1.052 with 85% pale malt, 10% munich, and 5% Crystal 40. I didn't have the Chinook or Mt. Hood on hand so I went with 28 IBUs of Simcoe at 60 mins and another 4 IBUs of Amarillo at 20 mins and then dry hopped with a half ounce of each for about a week. Mash temp was 152, fermentation was at 68 and the yeast was US-05. Damn nice well-balanced beer. The hops left if grapefruity as hell, but that's how I like it. Still, maybe I'll do it up with more neutral hops next time just for comparison. At this point though, I wouldn't change a thing as far as the malts.

Thanks for the help!

John