Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Complete Home Brewery Kit  (Read 4242 times)

jaybeerman

Re: Complete Home Brewery Kit
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2011, 12:06:47 pm »
Just out of curiosity what are all of you using to store grains/hops? I'd rather not use anything made of plastic and have been looking around for glass containers.

Tony,  you can find 5 or 6 gallon food grade buckets that won't impart plastic flavor/aroma.  I understand not wanting to use plastic but I think you'll have a hard time finding something else that's big enough.  Store your hops in the freezer.  Personally I store them in vacuum sealed bags that I stuff into a cardboard box.  Cheers and welcome to the hobby, j

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2011, 12:08:56 pm »
You asked about storing grains.

Many people swear by Vittle Vaults (dog food storage containers. Others use buckets with air tight lids.  I leave base malts in the bags they come in but I don't have critter issues in my basement.  

For specialty malts and  small stuff I usually just reseal the bag they come in with my Food Saver Sealer.  It even reseals most of the bags hops come in.

Pretty much anything air tight will work well.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
  • www.onbeer.blogspot.com
    • On Beer
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2011, 08:22:39 pm »
Williams supplied my first brew kit way back in 1994....I remember, I had to save and save for it and I drooled over their color catalog...it all seems so funny...and finally, finally my wife got sick of me obsessing and told me to buy it already....it cost around $100.  Oh, and while most of the things have been replaced or worn out, I still used the capper for half of my last batch....and I just sold most of the other stuff to a brand new homebrewer for a song.

Ahh good times.

You wouldn't believe the things I've seen...

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2011, 05:15:16 am »
Funny.  My first kit consisted of two white buckets I got from a friend at a restaurant and some hoses I bought at The Home Despot.  Per Charlie P's instructions I drilled what seemed like 100 holes in the bottom of one of the buckets, drilled a hole in the side of the other near the bottom for the hose and voila - mash tun with a false bottom.
Since then I've bought, made, or inherited a whole lot of other stuff.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995