General Category > Ingredients

Which two hops should I grow? What are your favorites?

(1/2) > >>

kramerog:
I grew Cascades last year and was very happy with the beers made with them.  This year I'm planning to plant two more types of hops.  Which two hops should I grow for making American and British ale styles?  Aroma and flavor is the principle reason for me to grow hops, but if I could also do bittering that would be a bonus.

Also what are your favorites?

liquidbrewing:
Chinook is one of my favorite bittering hops.  Very versatile, I've made stouts, ipas, apas, brown ales,...etc.  You get the picture.  Also I love Centennial.  If I could grow hops here in Florida I'd grow Chinook and Centennial.  But I've heard the climate and soil mineral content isn't that great, plus I don't have a green thumb!

hopfenundmalz:

--- Quote from: kramerog on January 31, 2011, 03:16:35 PM ---I grew Cascades last year and was very happy with the beers made with them.  This year I'm planning to plant two more types of hops.  Which two hops should I grow for making American and British ale styles?  Aroma and flavor is the principle reason for me to grow hops, but if I could also do bittering that would be a bonus.

Also what are your favorites?

--- End quote ---
You didn't say where you are at.  That makes a difference.

Here in Michigan, Cascades>Chinook>Nugget>Centennial>Mt Hood and Ultra.  My Euro varieties don't yield much.

kramerog:

--- Quote from: hopfenundmalz on January 31, 2011, 05:02:19 PM ---
You didn't say where you are at.  That makes a difference.

Here in Michigan, Cascades>Chinook>Nugget>Centennial>Mt Hood and Ultra.  My Euro varieties don't yield much.

--- End quote ---
I'm in Chicago.  Soil is clay till, but not acidic like parts of Wisconsin and SW Michigan.  My Cascades yielded 2 lbs in their second year and had excellent flavor and aroma.  Their alpha seemed to be low.

weithman5:
i live in naperville.  i  have magnum, sterling, sentiem growing.  magnum took hold the fastest

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version