Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Planning sleepytime beer for my wife, need input!  (Read 8028 times)

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
Re: Planning sleepytime beer for my wife, need input!
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2011, 03:01:24 pm »
Though the scientific evidence is weak for the adage "(warm) milk helps you sleep," I find that regular cold milk and a 100 calorie granola bar to be a great, and convenient, sleep aid should I wake up in the middle of the night for whatever reason.  I'm usually hard asleep within an hour and remain asleep until 7 or 8 a.m. without the "drug" or "supplement" concerns mentioned above.

Milk contains melatonin, which may be why this works. This is one of the reasons that milk works as a means to get babies to sleep.

As to the suggestion of gruit...One of the other gruit herbs is mugwort, which in sufficient quantities will induce quite lucid dreams. The active ingredient is thujone, the same as absinthe. Yarrow contains this as well, although in lower quantities. While this is not necessarily a problem, you should be aware of this, and also be aware that thujone should not be consumed by pregnant women as it may cause miscarriage.
Bristol Brewing Circle (BBC)
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2011, 03:06:32 pm »
I once made the "dream pillow" as described in Charlie P's book and my wife had such intense dreams with it that she had to stop using it.  Those herbs are really strong.  I'll try to find that reference and post the recipe.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2011, 03:49:45 pm »
I second what majorvices said... if the melatonin is causing her to wake up grogy, I would suggest going to be earlier then... but a fantastic sleep aid is sex. Nuthing like a orgasm and roll over to fall asleep!
Phoenix, AZ

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2011, 11:26:52 am »
As my town has a big "lavender festival" each June, I do brew a lavender beer once a year.  I don't like it too much, but some really have enjoyed it. 

If you want the recipe, PM me.

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2011, 04:42:14 pm »
A big plate (or two) of spaghetti and 5 or 6 stouts, rocked back in the recliner while Ms. Tubercle watches Dirty Jobs or Ghost Hunters.

See ya in the morning....
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2011, 05:18:47 pm »
A big plate (or two) of spaghetti and 5 or 6 stouts, rocked back in the recliner while Ms. Tubercle watches Dirty Jobs or Ghost Hunters.

See ya in the morning....

Almost..... see you at 04.28 for the old man pee.....
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline gimmeales

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2011, 12:06:48 pm »
.... Lavender requires care otherwise everything ends up smelling like soap.

This made me lawl.  Reminds me of an incredible 9-course dinner we went to years ago where lavender-infused shortbread cookies we a part of dessert.   The lavender essence was so strong, you almost couldn't enjoy the 104 year-old Madiera that was paired with dessert!  :o

Since that experience, lavender has been and always will be an 'aroma for soap', not beer.  ever.

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2011, 12:19:48 pm »
.... Lavender requires care otherwise everything ends up smelling like soap.

This made me lawl.  Reminds me of an incredible 9-course dinner we went to years ago where lavender-infused shortbread cookies we a part of dessert.   The lavender essence was so strong, you almost couldn't enjoy the 104 year-old Madiera that was paired with dessert!  :o

Since that experience, lavender has been and always will be an 'aroma for soap', not beer.  ever.

There are two very different types of Lavender.  One used for soaps and such that has camphor.  (Think vicks vapor rub) and another type that has been used as a spice for hundreds of years.  Many use the wrong one.

Offline jivetyrant

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2011, 09:35:32 am »
     Thanks for all the great advice everyone!  From the looks of it I'll be going with a rather tame brew, probably an american wheat with extra chamomile and probably some lavender.  They seem like they would compliment eachother quite well.  I'll more than likely make it a low gravity with intended residual sweetness from some honey as one of the primary fermentables.  My other thought was to try something similar to Founder's Backwoods Bastard, an outstanding bourbon barrel aged ale, since it certainly knocks me out when I drink it.  Unfortunately she doesn't like bourbon so I'm pretty much out of luck there!  I'll just keep it simple and see where things go from there. 

Also, I picked up a copy of The Compleat Meadmaker last night, I can't wait to start reading through it!

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2011, 10:19:58 am »
more than likely make it a low gravity with intended residual sweetness from some honey as one of the primary fermentables. 

Be aware that honey ferments pretty much completely so there's usually not much to speak of in the way of residual sweetness from it.
Joe

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2011, 10:24:14 am »
Big doses of strenuous physical activity every day always works for me...
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline jivetyrant

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2011, 06:48:58 am »
I'll have to switch to some less fermentable than honey.  What's a good sugar source that will add some character, anyone have some suggestions?

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2011, 08:36:01 am »
I'll have to switch to some less fermentable than honey.  What's a good sugar source that will add some character, anyone have some suggestions?

with a light wheat a little honey might be nice. I would mash at a little higher temp to get some sweetness and body. I don't think crystal malt is really appropriate for the style but that will add some sweetness as well. Not sure what is normally used to make a dunkle weizen but I suppose some dark crystal would give you soem color and some caramelly maltiness
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2011, 09:20:47 am »

Might want to try some Gambrinus Honey Malt
Joe

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2011, 10:51:45 am »

Randy Mosher has a lot in his book on that subject.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995