Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: ND could allow homebrewers to sell  (Read 2951 times)

Offline akr71

• Brewmaster
  • Beer Ain't Drinkin' - Mojo Nixon
Andy

Amherst, NS - Canada

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
Re: ND could allow homebrewers to sell
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 11:22:55 am »
Unbelieveable.... is this a blatant attempt by ND to get all the homebrewers to move there?
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 11:23:36 am »
One would still need the Federal permits.  TTB will be involved.

At the last conference, there was a talk on starting your own brewery.  There is a lot involved on the paperwork side of things and liscense fees, along with insurance and other costs.  It would be hard for me to pay for all of that at 10 gallons a batch.   7 barrels looked to be the minimum size brewhouse that would let you tend to the rest of the business when you are not brewing.

Yeah, Sam did it at DFH on a 10 gallons Sabco, but he was brewing 3 or more batches a day.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 12:17:46 pm »
At least if they streamline it from the state's perspective that's a help.  I don't know how much the feds have to say about the brewery itself and what is required for licensing, but I know some towns around here are more restrictive and harder to work with with more requirements than others.  That's a factor when people decide where to open their breweries.  So if the local stuff in ND is more permissive that would make it easier.  Of the nanos at home I can think of around here, all of them have been required to have a separate building for the brewery.

For example this place, in a 192 sqft outbuilding:
http://192brewing.com/
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 07:43:27 pm »
The web site is as sparse as the square footage of the brewery.

All three jurisdictions are independent and you have to be licensed by all of them.
At least here in WI you have to have Federal License and municipal license before you can apply for state license.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 09:21:18 pm »
I think we are required to spend $1000 per year for ABC lic. for the right to sell, not to mention Fed. and State taxes. There's also a background check along with all kinds of local regs I am sure aren't included in that bill (for instance, we were required to have "food grade lights" which costs well over $5K. They were cheap compared to the sewer upgrades the city made us install.) We have one guy who's job it is to take care of all the TTB and local regs. The TTB is not too bad, but they require approval of everything, and you can't sell without approval.. Quite frankly, on the homebrew level, it is going to be way, way, way more trouble and money than it is worth.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 01:25:26 am »
The web site is as sparse as the square footage of the brewery.
Yeah, but he didn't quit his day job either :)

Tom Schmidlin

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 07:49:41 am »
When I lived in TX, some places allowed homeowners to run what they called an "icehouse" if I remember correctly.  Basically they were small pubs in a garage, kind of.  I stopped at a couple just for the hell of it.  I'd be hard pressed to believe they all had the same Federal licensing... to sell beer out of their garage?  It will be interesting to see what is entailed in allowing homebrewers to sell their brew... I'd love to see Michigan do the same and with the economy the way it currently is, it wouldn't suprise me.  Great idea imo.   8)

Edited to add... maybe they'll downsize the ATF or reduce its responsibilities, wasn't it created as a response to prohibition?  Sure its money gathered for the federal government in license fee's but they could just as eaily add a fee per pint sold etc. like a sales tax and eliminate a boatload of government employees along with government pensions.   ;)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 07:57:38 am by dean »

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 07:57:13 am »
Sell my homebrew and great pheasant hunting? I'm there... ;D
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline drawtap88

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 08:07:06 am »
I was thinking about this last night on my way home from work.  If the Federal, State, and Local governments all got on the same page on this, it might be worth it for Joe Homebrewer to open his nano.  My idea was to make the licensing fees dependent on the amount of beer being brewed and/or sold. 

Say Joe brews 100 gallons for sale.  Instead of paying $1,000.00 per year for License X, he pays $100.00 (or some other percentage of the total licensing fee), so he can test his products and get his feet wet in the industry.

Obviously that only takes into account the licensing fees and doesn't include other stuff like packageing or ingredients, etc. but it's something to think about.

Offline uthristy

• Brewer
  • Hot & sticky Fla.
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2011, 11:32:52 am »
I really don't understand the big deal, do people really think they'll get rich selling homebrew? Would you be allowed to sell to other states? export?  or is this just for ND?  and what does Fed have say about all the taxes/rules/permits?

What happens when some kid gets drunk after buying homebrew? Talk about a $hitstorm for homebrewers after that happens.

<edit 2fix spelling>
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 12:35:22 pm by uthristy »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2011, 11:37:03 am »
There are no facts in that web posting.  I wouldn't be holding my breath...
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2011, 09:40:52 pm »
Licensing in WI is not expensive. It is $20 for two years. But on the other hand there is a law that municipality can collect tax on personal property in leased building.

Anyway you look at it there is money going out of your pocket. You need to make and sell enough beer to cover the expenses and 10 gal rig might not cut it.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com