Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ethanol--For your vehicle.  (Read 4055 times)

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
Re: Ethanol--For your vehicle.
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2011, 12:34:36 pm »
We could extend our electrical generating capability if we simply did more thoughtful design.  Does every electronic device really need it's very own wall wart?  We have already, pretty much, standardized on 5, 9 or 12 volts.  I've always thought it made more sense to create a standard charging base and sell it separately.  If everything used a USB charging cable then you could have a charger with many connections that could actually be turned off and charge everything in your house.

One of my sisters was complaining about their electric bill one weekend and I told her to take away all the wall warts her kids have.  She didn't believe me until we went through her whole house and unplugged all of the major stuff she thought was using power.  Her meter was still turning.  After three passes through her house unplugging things, her meter finally stopped.  The I plugged back in her major appliances and the meter would start and stop.  After her kids got home and plugged all their stuff back in, even though none of it (for the most part) was turned on, her meter was spinning away happily again.

Does it need a power LED on 24 hours a day?  If it's turned off why does the cooling fan continue running?  Does it do the same job if you use a power strip to turn it off?  If yes, why does the transformer sit in the outlet all day and night?

This is just one of my rants.  Sorry.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2011, 01:32:48 pm »
We could extend our electrical generating capability if we simply did more thoughtful design.  Does every electronic device really need it's very own wall wart?  We have already, pretty much, standardized on 5, 9 or 12 volts.  I've always thought it made more sense to create a standard charging base and sell it separately.  If everything used a USB charging cable then you could have a charger with many connections that could actually be turned off and charge everything in your house.

One of my sisters was complaining about their electric bill one weekend and I told her to take away all the wall warts her kids have.  She didn't believe me until we went through her whole house and unplugged all of the major stuff she thought was using power.  Her meter was still turning.  After three passes through her house unplugging things, her meter finally stopped.  The I plugged back in her major appliances and the meter would start and stop.  After her kids got home and plugged all their stuff back in, even though none of it (for the most part) was turned on, her meter was spinning away happily again.

Does it need a power LED on 24 hours a day?  If it's turned off why does the cooling fan continue running?  Does it do the same job if you use a power strip to turn it off?  If yes, why does the transformer sit in the outlet all day and night?

This is just one of my rants.  Sorry.

Paul

you can get power strips with remote on off switches to make that stuff easier. then you don't have to crawl around under desks etc. it really does make a huge difference.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2011, 02:00:12 pm »
you can get power strips with remote on off switches to make that stuff easier. then you don't have to crawl around under desks etc. it really does make a huge difference.

Except then that power strip is "always on" so it can listen for the remote :(
Joe

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2011, 04:10:08 pm »

Except then that power strip is "always on" so it can listen for the remote :(

true but one thing always on versus the 6 or 8 things plugged into it is better! and people who might not otherwise unplug might then do the next best thing.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce