Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sniffing the airlock!  (Read 7132 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Sniffing the airlock!
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2011, 11:23:01 pm »
I keep my fermenters in the living room where one can keep an eye on them. Can smell when active fermentation starts and when it ends. Nothing like that beery gassy smell!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2011, 12:05:04 am »
I think Denny is a closet airlock sniffer.... ;)
Me...I love it! until the sulfur gets a rolliin....
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline cheba420

• Brewer
  • Can I get a beer up in here?
    • The Beer Research Institute
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2011, 03:06:45 pm »
I was under the impression that airlock sniffing was an essential part of the process!  ;D
+ 1 on the sulfer smells. I recently brewed a batch of cider that got rowdy!!!
Matt
Mesa, AZ.

On Tap: Vanilla Porter, Belgian Blonde, Saison, Black IPA, Punkin Porter
Primary: Pale 31 Clone, Raspberry Cider
Secondary: Vanilla Porter
Conditioning: Brett IPA
Bottles:Mosaic Wheat
On Deck: Flanders Red, Berliner weisse, Punkin Saison, Saison Brett

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2011, 04:40:38 pm »
OMG, why would you use your good Knob Creek Bourbon in the airlock?  Better to use some really cheap vodka and save the Knob Creek for drinking.   :P  And yes, I am also an airlock sniffer.   ;D

Do you burn stacks of $100's as firewood and pave your driveway with gold bricks too?

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2011, 08:30:08 pm »
Do you burn stacks of $100's as firewood and pave your driveway with gold bricks too?

hmmm, that sounds like fun. Although the gold bricks in the driveway might provide a bit too much glare on sunny days.   :P

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2011, 04:51:34 pm »
Wow... I didn't realize Knob Creek was that high in status... it only cost ~$40 for a 750 ml bottle and I probably only poured 1/4 or 1/3 of a shotglass into my airlock.  There is about two shots left in the bottle and I'm gonna add that to the stout but I doubt it will be noticeable.  What can I say... it was handy and I knew it would work for what I wanted.   What is the one with the racehorse moulded into the bottle cap... I want to try a bottle of that next and I'm sure it will last me a couple of years too since I don't drink hard stuff often... about two or three shots chased with beer every few months and thats enough for me!  I don't know much about that stuff... its like learning Greek or something... single barrel... double barrel... sounds more like someone talking about going out hunting.    :D   ;)

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2011, 05:01:00 pm »
it only cost ~$40 for a 750 ml bottle     :D   ;)
:o :o :o :o

I wish I could say that about a vial of yeast!

It only costs ~$6 for a 50ml vial!...

The rent is to damn high.  ;D ;D

Ruben * Colorado :)

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2011, 05:41:51 pm »
Yeh, but I've had that same bottle of Knob Creek for "at least" two years.  Most whiskey drinkers probably plow through a bottle a month if not sooner... so $40 is pretty inexpensive over that time frame... unlike buying a single bottle of Pliney The Elder, etc.  which compared to the KC, they are very expensive... one sitting and they're Gone.   :'(

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2011, 04:45:33 pm »
Yeh, but I've had that same bottle of Knob Creek for "at least" two years.  Most whiskey drinkers probably plow through a bottle a month if not sooner... so $40 is pretty inexpensive over that time frame... unlike buying a single bottle of Pliney The Elder, etc.  which compared to the KC, they are very expensive... one sitting and they're Gone.   :'(

I do the same thing with whiskey/bourbon/scotch.  I like to have some decent bottles of these in the house but can't exactly afford to drink them up quickly.  Plus, I prefer to drink beer more often than other stuff anyway.  I do end up spending some decent money on various bottles of beer which, of course, end up being drank in one session.  Either way I enjoy it all.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2011, 05:35:32 pm »
What is the one with the racehorse moulded into the bottle cap... I want to try a bottle of that next and I'm sure it will last me a couple of years too since I don't drink hard stuff often...

Blanton's.  And for my money, the bottle is the best part of it.  Actually, that's a bit harsh but for what you pay you can get much better.

My standby's are Elmer T. Lee and Wathen's, either of which should only run you around $30.

Eagle Rare is nice, too.

I drink a fair amount of bourbon, especially in the winter.

A friend swears by putting a vanilla bean in a bottle of Knob Creek.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline lazydog79

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2011, 09:04:58 pm »
Hey - I thought I was the only one that did that  :D

Offline andylovesburritos

• Cellarman
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2011, 02:08:15 pm »
right now i am smelling mead bubbles. pretty good