Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What "Non Traditional" Instrument do you play?  (Read 12253 times)

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: What "Non Traditional" Instrument do you play?
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2011, 12:32:33 pm »
Well, I've just been educated.  An expensive wheel-bowed folk instrument.  Think bagpipe crossed with a fiddle and harmonium!  Yeah, there's part of me that wants one...but a bit too pricey for me.  I could probably get a sitar plus a sarangi, sarod, or dilruba...   ;D

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2011, 12:33:39 pm »
Looks like a Hurdy Gurdy to me.

Ah, yes!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2011, 12:35:26 pm »
Looks like a Hurdy Gurdy to me.
That matches what google images finds.  I've never seen one and don't know what they sound like.  The name is vaguely familiar for some reason though - I think from a Beastie Boys song :)
being older, different frame of reference.... it brought to mind an old song by Donovan called Hurdy Gurdy Man
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2011, 01:00:09 pm »
being older, different frame of reference.... it brought to mind an old song by Donovan called Hurdy Gurdy Man

You and me both, man!  ACID FLASHBACK!!!!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2011, 01:21:37 pm »
Hurdy Gurdy it is..... and although a good chunk of money, this one was not as expensive as most of them out there. It was built for me by a gentleman in Oregon, in a workshop in his back yard with a wood stove and a solar panel on the roof....

The hg Donovan sings of is actually a barrel organ. (Crank it, it plays a tune, think player piano).

First seen in depictions found in the Iberian peninsula (what is now Spain and Portugal) dating back to 1100 the hg was the street instrument for many centuries. They were also used in churches as the drones are quite good at keeping the congregation in tune. The Notre Dame in Paris has several depicted on the sculpting it has on it's exterior. Louis XIV was a music freak and had them all over the palace cranking at all times....think "rave". Then there was the dark chapter of the Hessian Hurdy Gurdy Girls....read here:

http://www.economypoint.org/h/hurdy-gurdy-girls.html

A piece of American History which is conveniently left out of the books.....

The instrument is still in use in folk music, although in a more modern iteration, in Eastern Europe. And the Swedes have a derivative known as the Nyckelharpa, also still in use in folk music.

I use mine at SCA events and play medieval-ish and later traditional tunes for general entertainment. For those of you that are familiar with the SCA, I particularly have a lot of fun joining the drum circles....the dancers LOVE any melody instrument, and I have sort of mastered a few middle eastern-ish scales that I can vamp for hours. I call it:Drive by taksim.... However, my friends and family have made me promise never to tune it in their presence again. ;D

It can be heard here in a recording/video I threw together and posted to youtube in a camper in about 45 minutes, as a demonstration for my kids, using the hurdy, a dumbek, a macbook running on an inverter and a Sprint wireless card.......it's not as tight as I would like it to be, but it was fun to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzgrK4xjgAg
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 01:29:28 pm by oscarvan »
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2011, 02:55:55 pm »

A bit late, but here you go:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqhxK_g9mrA
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2011, 12:57:18 am »

A bit late, but here you go:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqhxK_g9mrA
That song sounded vaguely familiar, so I did some googling.  It turns out that the Beastie Boys song "Car Thief" samples Donovan's Hurdy Gurdy Man, and the lyric that was familiar is

"Space cake cookies I discover who I am
I'm a dusted old bummy Hurdy Gurdy Man"

Listening to it, the sample is very short and comes right after the lyric.

I also found out that the Butthole Surfers covered that song.  It's a good version IMO, but you guys might not like it.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2011, 06:56:47 am »
Want to some cool non-traditional instruments used in interesting applications?  Go see Steve Howe in concert.  Besides being a phenomenal guitar player, he has a collector's heart and is always using beautiful, interesting old instruments.  The man even has a book out!

http://www.amazon.com/Steve-Howe-Guitar-Collection/dp/0879302909

Offline akr71

• Brewmaster
  • Beer Ain't Drinkin' - Mojo Nixon
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2011, 07:38:17 am »
I also found out that the Butthole Surfers covered that song.  It's a good version IMO, but you guys might not like it.

You beat me to it.
Andy

Amherst, NS - Canada

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2011, 10:27:39 am »
Got a mouth harp but can't play it very well.  My lovely wife bought me a dulcimer for christmas. Its coming along ok, been playing guitar, mandolin & banjo for a while and its simular, just different.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline tonyp

• Brewmaster
  • If it ain't broke you aren't trying hard enough...
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2011, 10:38:14 am »
Want to some cool non-traditional instruments used in interesting applications?  Go see Steve Howe in concert.  Besides being a phenomenal guitar player, he has a collector's heart and is always using beautiful, interesting old instruments.  The man even has a book out!

http://www.amazon.com/Steve-Howe-Guitar-Collection/dp/0879302909

Steve Howe rocks, I had the pleasure of seeing Asia open for Yes at Six Flags Great Adventure on my birthday in July 2010 and it was one of the most memorable events I've ever witnessed until the lightning and rain started :(  When I was about 8yrs old my best friend's older brother used to play Yes and all of the 60's/70's stuff for us and we got hooked, been a Yes freak every since.

Recently I saw that Jon Anderson was playing this neat little guitar in a video of one of his new songs, its called a Strum Stick, check it out:

Jon Anderson - Under Heaven's Door

Live from the Jersey Shore!

Phrases for Creatives, #22:
"I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter."

Offline tonyp

• Brewmaster
  • If it ain't broke you aren't trying hard enough...
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2011, 11:19:32 am »
Oh I forgot, I also play the Doumbek, a traditional middle-eastern drum.

Live from the Jersey Shore!

Phrases for Creatives, #22:
"I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter."

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2011, 11:41:43 am »
Steve Howe rocks, I had the pleasure of seeing Asia open for Yes at Six Flags Great Adventure on my birthday in July 2010 and it was one of the most memorable events I've ever witnessed until the lightning and rain started :( 

I saw that tour myself, Benoit David and Rick Wakeman's son Oliver did a surprisingly good job standing in as vocalist and keyboardist, respectively.  Definitely a Howe-centered show, with ASIA and all.  Before that I saw them in 2002, and in 2000.  I'm only 29, so not much before that, sadly.

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2011, 12:46:36 pm »
I saw the title of this thread and wondered if didgeridoo was going to be mentioned. I have 6 didges, but really only play 3. I'm not great, but somehow picked up circular breathing pretty quickly. If you ever get into it enough, go see my friend Ben:
http://hickssticks.com/

He made 2 of my sticks and they're awesome.

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2011, 02:00:11 pm »
I played orchestral percussion in high school. Once played on mugs, and once on an anvil.
Bristol Brewing Circle (BBC)
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/