Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: anyone else bbq'ing for superbowl? whatcha cookin?  (Read 3953 times)

Offline loopy

• Brewer
anyone else bbq'ing for superbowl? whatcha cookin?
« on: February 05, 2011, 01:44:18 pm »
What is anyone else doing for superbowl? 

I am starting with two briskets.  Outside marinate with my normal homeade recipe rub.  I then food processed some onions, garlic, bell peppers, and stuffed into cavities inside the brisket. 

then a nice fresh wild pig leg?  This came from a 75 pound sow, shot in December.  This ham was rubbed with a mix of olive oil, whisky, spice rub.  then wrapped (barded actually) in a weave of thick cut bacon. 

and here it is ready for the smoker later this evening. 

--
Those are my contributions to the party, aside there is sposed to be a few drunk chickens, a couple racks of ribs, a fatty, and a bunch of new york strip steaks.  Last I heard the planned head count for our party is 32 people. 

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: anyone else bbq'ing for superbowl? whatcha cookin?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 02:02:42 pm »
Ooooh that looks tasty already. How long will that sow's leg take? I'm thinking 8-10 hours.

I did this during the storm and it was a real PITA. But it'll get sliced and chopped. Some will get turned into chili for the SB. A 9.5# Excel packer brisket:

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline loopy

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 02:11:12 pm »
Your brisket looks awesome.  I love that bark. 

I am thinking 10-12 hours. 

Wild hogs are much leaner than commercial pork. It tends to dry out and benefits greatly from the wrap. I'll keep it wrapped on the smoker for about 4 hours on smoke at 250. Then I'll wrap the entire thing in heavy duty alum foil and let it go 6 or hours. (the midnight till I wake up part). Then out of the foil, peel off the smoked black rubbery bacon. paint on some glaze. I have some homemade raspberry halapeno jam for this. (actually made by a friend and his wife who live in Austin). It will then get smoked with the final glaze on for about 2 hours or so before it comes off.

I have never done two briskets and a hogleg at the same time so there is a variable about how to keep temps regulated.  I'm thinking it will just work itself out and I'll adjust as necessary. 

Every cook is different, I'm crossing my fingers. 

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 02:11:55 pm »
Your house looks like better grub than mine!

I'm planning, I think, some sort of fried chicken wings.  Not sure if I'll bread them or not, or what sort of sauce (not a buffalo wing sort).  That plus other snack food and either PBR or a four year vertical of Bigfoot...  decisions, decisions...  :D

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 02:14:52 pm »
That stuff looks awesome guys!

I've got a brisket rubbed and sitting in the fridge, but I just rubbed it last night and I like to let it sit for a week or so, so I'm smoking that one next weekend.

For the superbowl I made what we call sloppy joes, which are nothing like what most people call sloppy joes.  It's a triple-decker sandwich with swiss cheese, pastrami, ham, turkey, russian dressing, and coleslaw, on rye.  It's best to make them at least 24 hours in advance and let them sit in the fridge.  Awesome awesome awesome.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 02:52:59 pm »
Great looking Q for sure.  :)

I made about 8qts of my famous chili recipe. I'm having a pre superbowl Texas Hold'em game.

Chili and beer for the festivities.
Ron Price

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 04:00:06 pm »
Was thinking chili at first, but I'm going to fry up hot wings and make pizza (NY-style and Chicago-style).
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 04:14:17 pm »
For the superbowl I made what we call sloppy joes, which are nothing like what most people call sloppy joes.  It's a triple-decker sandwich with swiss cheese, pastrami, ham, turkey, russian dressing, and coleslaw, on rye.  It's best to make them at least 24 hours in advance and let them sit in the fridge.  Awesome awesome awesome.

Dang, nothing to do directly with your sammich but now I've got a major hankerin' for some Central Grocery Muffalettas
Joe

boulderbrewer

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2011, 08:57:20 pm »
Making the Superbowl nacho dip, it has worked the last 5 games why change now, got plenty else but nothing better than what I have seen or read about already here.

Offline rbclay

• Assistant Brewer
  • Northfield, MN
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2011, 11:25:53 pm »
that hogsleg looks great! last time I had a "hogsleg" I was in college, and it wasn't food... think Bob Marley... slang for a cigarette ;)

I am making "Roethlisburgers". Made 'em for the last 2 Bowls and it worked! In fact, I ONLY make them for this game. They have been all the rage in the 'Burgh for awhile. Here is my version:
Patties are 1/3 mild Italian sausage/2/3 beef. Picture this in layers, listed from the bottom up:
bun, BBQ sauce, patty, slice of provolone, fried egg, bacon, ranch dressing, cheddar, top of the onion bun.
Sounded like a lot of excess to me - before I tried it. Pure awesome.

HERE WE GO STEELERS... HERE WE GO!!
Randy Clay
Milltown Mashers
https://www.facebook.com/groups/404574082932834/
BJCP Certified

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2011, 07:07:55 am »
Making the sausage/cheese/salsa chip dip. I friend gave me a pound of sausage he made from a wild boar he killed.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2011, 10:26:41 am »
I am making Buffalo chicken dip.

2 cups cooked shredded chicken (go all fork ninja on it. The stringier the better)
2 8oz packets of neufchatel (Lower fat cream cheese)
1 cup Franks Red Hot sauce
1 cup of Light Ranch dressing
1 cup of shredded Cheddar.

Put all into microwave safe bowl and nuke for 5
min stir and cook another 5 until its bubbly.

Yum. Its like hot wings without the mess!
Serve with scoopable chips.
Ruben * Colorado :)

Offline onthekeg

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2011, 01:58:37 pm »

I smoked a rack of ribs and ANOTHER slab of pork belly.

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2011, 02:37:35 pm »
Saxer Family Super Bowl Tradition:

Frogmore Stew!

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907