Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Acetaldehyde post bottling  (Read 12340 times)

Offline justenpelton

• 1st Kit
Acetaldehyde post bottling
« on: February 01, 2011, 03:23:42 pm »
I recently bottle conditioned a saison (FG1.005) which sat in secondary for 1 months.  The flavor was great at bottliing but after 1 week in the beer seemed to develope an acetaldehyde flavor.  Has anyone experience this before?  And would I be assuming the flavor will be reaborbed by the yeast with time??  I have had high gravity beers develope diacetyl after bottling, only to have it disappear after a week or two.  I didn't re-yeast this beer, which I have commonly done in the past. I was just curious if anyone else has noticed off flavors in young bottled coniditioned beer?

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
Re: Acetaldehyde post bottling
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 04:00:40 pm »
Does it taste like butter or green apples?  Diacetyl and acetaldehyde are two completely different things.  If neither flavor were there post ferment and prebottling, than you likely have a secondary infection, especially if it has a buttery flavor as that is not an off flavor typically produced by a saison yeast. Check another bottle or two to see if the off flavor is there.  It could be isolated to just that bottle

Offline justenpelton

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 04:36:01 pm »
The saison only had acetaldehyde (green apple) aroma and flavor, no diacetyl.  I was curious if anybody has experience off flavors in young bottled conditioned beer, that eventually mellow (beers with no infection).    The beer that I had diacetyl in was back awhile, it turned out fine after conditioning 2-3 more weeks.  I am hoping that the saison will turn out with more time?  The beer is conditioning cooler that I would like @64.

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 05:56:15 pm »
I have a Helles on tap that had no detectable acetaldehyde once maturation was complete. When I first put it on tap there was no acetaldehyde either. A few days ago I notices pronounced green apple and now I don't get any anymore. I'm not sure what exactly is going on, but acetaldehyde can be produced through oxidation. To be removed I thought it takes yest, but there is almost no yeast in my serving kegs.

I'd give it some time.

Kai

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 06:09:36 pm »
If it is acetylaldehyde, that should go away with time.  You may try warming up some bottles for a couple days at room temp and see if this helps it go away.

Per the BJCP exam site:

Acetaldehyde
This compound has the taste and aroma of fresh-cut green apples, and has also been compared to grass, green leaves and latex paint. It is normally reduced to ethanol by yeast during the secondary fermentation, but oxidation of the finished beer may reverse this process, converting ethanol to acetaldehyde. Elevated levels are generally present in green beer or if the beer is prematurely removed from the yeast. It can also be a product of bacterial spoilage by Zymomonas or Acetobacter. Background levels of acetaldehyde can be tasted in Budweiser due to the use of beechwood chips to drop the yeast before it can be reduced to ethanol.
This can also be the result of inadequate wort oxygenation, though the resultant yeast byproducts are normally metabolic intermediates they can remain after fermentation in some cases.

Diacetyl
This compound is responsible for an artificial butter, butterscotch or toffee-like aroma and taste. At low levels, it may also produce a slickness on the palate. A significant number of tasters cannot perceive diacetyl at any concentration, so every judge should be aware of his or her limitations. Diacetyl is a fermentation by-product which is normally absorbed by the yeast and reduced to more innocuous diols. High levels can result from prematurely separating the beer from the yeast or by exposure to oxygen during the fermentation. Low FAN levels or mutation may also inhibit the ability of yeast to reduce diacetyl. Note that high fermentation temperatures promote both the formation and elimination of diacetyl, but the latter is more effective. For that reason, lager breweries often employ a diacetyl rest, which involves holding the beer in the 60-65 °F range for a few days after racking to the conditioning tank. Diacetyl is also produced by lactic acid bacteria, notably Pediococcus damnosus. Low levels of diacetyl are permissible in nearly all ales, particularly those brewed in the United Kingdom, and even some lagers, notably Czech pilseners.
Though rarely used by homebrewers, kräusening is a technique that can be used to eliminate diacetyl in beer. The technique works because of the introduction of fresh yeast that is actively multiplying and is thus able to rapidly remove diacetyl.

Hope this helps.  Let us know how it turns out.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 07:49:42 pm by hoser »

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 08:18:50 pm »
very germain to a recent issue I noticed:

I racked my czech pils into a couple of kegs the weekend before last, and had an extra half gallon or so that did not fit so I put the remainder in a 2L soda bottle and force carbed.  However, in switching from the keg to soda bottle, I let a lot of splashing occur inside the bottle.

came back a day later to see how my green beer was doing, and boy was it ever green - acetaldehyde city.  Yet a toke off the keg revealed only a very faint hint, that i would expect from 2 day old light lager.

I make light lagers all the time, same yeast, and never have had this issue, but I also rarely taste the beer before a month lagering - point is - I think you will be just fine given some time (and I hope the faint note I got will go away as well).

Cheers!
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 09:13:53 pm »
Quote from: BJCP
Background levels of acetaldehyde can be tasted in Budweiser due to the use of beechwood chips to drop the yeast before it can be reduced to ethanol.

This statement is actually incorrect. The beechwood chip aging does exactly the opposite. It increased the yeast to beer contact area by giving the yeast many nooks and crannies to cling onto. The result is faster maturation and less acetaldehyde.

Kai

Offline seajellie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 08:31:21 am »
I also find the following sentence from the diacetyl section odd:

For that reason, lager breweries often employ a diacetyl rest, which involves holding the beer in the 60-65 °F range for a few days after racking to the conditioning tank.

I have no idea how most of the lager breweries do it, but it certainly seems that most of the home brewing literature recommends doing the rest on the yeast, in the primary, before the final attenuation is reached. Personally, I usually wait until primary fermentation is just about over.

Offline justenpelton

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 05:58:05 pm »
Update

All acetaldehyde disappeared a day or so after the post, it's crazy how flavors can come and go in young beer.  I am sure it doesn't help bottle conditioning at cool basement temps.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 09:54:11 pm »
Are you sure it wasn't just in some of the first bottles you tasted, and not in all of the initially?  See if it turns up in any future bottles, it could be that the yeast cleaned it up, but maybe not.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 05:24:13 am »
If it is an infection/bacterial the acetaldehyde will increase over time IME.

If Bud beechwood actually lowers acetaldehyde then without it that would be a heck of an apple-y beer!
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!