Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Contamination Dangers with Fermenting On Top?  (Read 3857 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Contamination Dangers with Fermenting On Top?
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2011, 06:44:06 am »
I don't wash or rinse my slurries.  I simply divide by eye by pouring intpo 2 sanitized plastic containers with snap on lids.

+1 - I saw no appreciable benefit when I rinsed my slurries.

in full disclosure however, I do have the ability to dump trub, dead yeast and other waste during high krausen which probably means less junk in my slurries.

ymmv.

I have conicals as well, and do pull from the middle of the slurry. But when I was using carboys full time I found the same as Denny, washing didn't make an appreciable difference. That said, I was never using more than 3 or 4 generations. If you go higher than this I think washing becomes more important for removing dead cells and trub.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2011, 08:29:21 pm »
Tubercle brews a new batch, racks existing finished beer into the keg, scoops out ~2/3 of the trub and then fills the fementer. No problems so far.

Plus there is the Frankenyeast that has been going for about a decade now. It lives in a quart jar in the fridge. It is let out every once in a while to play.

Did you name your yeast?
If not could I suggest Herman?
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2011, 07:10:27 am »
Tubercle brews a new batch, racks existing finished beer into the keg, scoops out ~2/3 of the trub and then fills the fementer. No problems so far.

Plus there is the Frankenyeast that has been going for about a decade now. It lives in a quart jar in the fridge. It is let out every once in a while to play.

Did you name your yeast?
If not could I suggest Herman?

They're just called my little buddies (some will get the pun, some won't) but it is time for a formal name - Herman it is.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2011, 07:16:33 am »

« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 03:30:25 pm by maxieboy »
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2011, 06:28:08 pm »
A friend of mine has a bread yeast culture going in the fridge.....it is over 10 years old. It is known as "Bob".
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline Kirk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Sparks, NV
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2011, 05:58:06 pm »
Bottom harvested for the first time today.  Just shook it up and poured it out.  So easy!  I can see why you don't rinse.  Not that much crud in there to worry about.  Thanks.
Kirk Howell