Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Groundhog Day Redux - The Repeating Beer Edition  (Read 3712 times)

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Groundhog Day Redux - The Repeating Beer Edition
« on: February 02, 2011, 10:29:42 am »
Ok, so even if you don't brew on specific days like referenced here, you must have specific brews you do again and again or at least at the same time every year!

Whatcha got?

Me I have a ton of repeating recipes, but not a whole hell of a lot of schedule to them. But I do know that between now and June I'll be brewing up a storm as I get ready for the Falcons' Mayfaire Festival, Southern California Homebrewer's Fest and the AHA Conference.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Groundhog Day Redux - The Repeating Beer Edition
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 10:37:21 am »
I brew an Irish stout most frequently, at the request of my neighbors.  I vary it a bit for fun, but it's usually not too different.  I have some others that repeat, but usually not more than once a year.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 10:41:31 am »
Well Drew...now that you ask.

I like to keep an IPA on tap daily. I am always tweaking the recipe slightly from batch to batch but I make it 11 gallons at a time and haven't run out in a few years as I always keep it in the pipeline. I brew 11 gallons every other month or so. I use a combo of Columbus, Centennial, Amarillo and Simcoe....and I never fear the hops.  :)
Ron Price

Offline SiameseMoose

• Assistant Brewer
  • Cincinnati, OH
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 10:41:49 am »
Like many, I have plenty of repeating recipes. I don't have a schedule, as I usually brew as needed. My two most common beers are 30 Minute Pale Ale, and a Belgian Blond. (I still need to come up with a name for that one.) I try to make sure I don't run out of either.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 10:44:25 am »
I have brewed my california common (Kiwi X-ing cause it uses new zealand hops) a couple of times. I varied the yeast between the first two. buying cali lager for the first one and culturing form lucky hand the second. This spring I will be brewing 20 gallons of it for a wedding this summer.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 10:52:22 am »
I repeat a lot of recipes and when I look back through my brewing log it appears I do them about the same time every year.  Not planned at all...it just works out that way!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Hokerer

• Manassas, VA
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 11:22:10 am »
I bank seven yeast varieties and I like to cycle through all seven before repeating.  So, not so much repeating recipes as repeating "style groups".
Joe

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 12:25:24 pm »
I like to brew something for "Fiesta" every April. It's been cider's and Bitter's in the past. My goal is to do an annual Oktoberfest.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline lazydog79

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 12:55:30 pm »
I always intend to re-brew somethings with regularity, but my style ADD always takes me somewhere else  :P  Oh well, variety  is the spice of life!

Offline Slowbrew

• The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 01:15:36 pm »
I've gotten rather stagnant lately.  I always have wheat, blond, red, sour mash and amber on hand.  They get brewed anytime I put the last keg of any kind into the kegerater.  I also brew a couple of Rye IPA's and Pilsners every year.  Oatmeal stout and porters whenever they seem to be getting low (easy-cap bottles).

No particular schedule, just as needed.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline tygo

• Sterling, VA
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, 06:11:43 pm »
I have a couple of beers that I plan to brew every year.  O-Fest in the fall and a giant wee heavy in the spring.  This year I'm planning on repeating a few recipes over and over again to try to tweak them.  But I'll still mix in some new ones so I don't get bored.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2011, 07:08:29 pm »
Well, as the noob, I've breen brewing the same APA over and over again...... first as an extract now as an AG...... Slightly varying the recipe and learning the effects of those changes.....

And then there was a Kölsch and and a Belgian PA, and I want to do a stout and more belgian things.......so much beer, so little time....
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2011, 07:26:23 pm »
I brew three or four of my standard beers to keep up with my personal demand, IPA and Rye IPA on US and Belgian yeasts, Export Lager are always on tap, but the only seasonal beer I make is Belgian Witbier, which I always brew in the winter when my citrus trees have ripe fruit.  I should be doing that pretty soon.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2011, 09:13:50 pm »
entering year three of brewing... I go on jags and brew the same thing several times, maybe altrrnating with something else, then move on. I really liked Fred Bonjour's late-hopped Amarillo APA so I brewed it again two weeks ago. I'm thinking of brewing McQuaker's stout again, since I'm enjoying the batch I made a few weeks ago. Small-batch brewing means if I like something I need to brew it again pretty quickly so I don't run out. :)
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline christo

• Cellarman
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2011, 06:06:38 am »
For more years than I bother to remember at this point I have been on a quest to brew the main 80 BJCP styles (4 sours and 4 lagers to go), so there has not been a lot of time for repeats in a limited brewing schedule (maybe 10 batches a year).  That said, I almost always get a batch of my Midder (Mild Bitter) made (ideal for a party since it's an "8-day" beer and low-grav) and my Turtle Rye PA (Terrapin clone).  For multiple years I made at least one Saison every summer, letting it go into the 80's (or even 90's) and see what I got in the end, though the recipe was always tweaked a bit each time with spice additions.  I want to start that tradition back.