Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Does anyone remember a blueberry beer from Bert Grant?  (Read 2201 times)

Offline brewmonk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Norcia, Italy
    • Birra Nursia
Does anyone remember a blueberry beer from Bert Grant?
« on: February 28, 2011, 08:46:00 am »
I recall back in the late 90's drinking a beer from Bert Grant that was called a blueberry beer, yet didn't actually have blueberries.  I think the FDA eventually made him stop it because they considered it false advertising.  I do remember a blueberry flavor though.  Anyone know anything about the recipe?
(Or was I drinking too many LaTrappe Quads back then?)
Br. Francis
Birra Nursia

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Does anyone remember a blueberry beer from Bert Grant?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 10:29:33 am »
I have vague recollections of a blueberry beer that was made without any blueberries and the flavor/aroma supposedly came from the yeast.  I never tried it, and I don't know if it was from Grant's or not.   Probably not very helpful . . .
Tom Schmidlin

jaybeerman

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 01:25:37 pm »
I can recall having the beer but that's about it, sorry.  Good luck in your search.  Here's a quick trip down memory lane -
http://www.beerhunter.com/documents/19133-001575.html

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 06:05:29 am »
I don't remember this but I was curious so I dived into a news database at work. I found this about a Thomas Kemper beer, is that what you guys are thinking of?
From the Wall Street Journal, 24 July 1995
Eleven years ago, wayward yeast chanced to give another Seattle-area microbrew, Thomas Kemper lager, a distinct blueberry aroma. Kemper's new owner, Hart Brewing, recently decided to revive this serendipitous recipe and call it "Blueberry Lager." No way, said ATF: Blueberry Lager must have blueberries in it, else consumers might be confused. So Hart adds superfluous berries to each batch. But when Hart wanted to add apricots to another brew, it had to wait months while ATF pondered so exotic a notion.

It's a pretty interesting article, which licensing restrictions do not allow me to repost. Title is "What's Brewing at the ATF". Check your local library; you might have access through a database. The gist of it is that the ATF didn't know how to handle all these newfangled beers that were coming out. Bert was mentioned for his cider and the fact that his RIS had onion domes on the label: a clear religious symbol  :-\
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 10:54:25 am »
That must be it - so that beer was from 1984? I don't know when they stopped making it, but I didn't move to the area until early 1997 which explains why I've heard of it but don't recall tasting it.

It was shortly before I moved here that Hart became Pyramid.  I worked nearby and everyone called it Hart's, which was confusing for a while :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline brewmonk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Norcia, Italy
    • Birra Nursia
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 09:32:27 am »
Hmm, maybe that is it.  Although I didn't start my drinking until about 1994.  Still, I just remember being very pleasantly surprised by it.  A bit later I had a blueberry beer at a brewpub near my house that was also really good, but I think they actually used blueberries.
Guess I have an idea of what to try for my first fruit beer.  :)
Br. Francis
Birra Nursia

boulderbrewer

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 09:25:05 pm »
I don't have an idea how this beer was, but I brew a good blueberry beer that I'll be happy to share with ya. Just PM me and I'lll send you a couple of samples.