Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bells' Hopslam Ale  (Read 7612 times)

Offline markaberrant

• Brewer
  • Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
    • ALES Club
Re: Bells' Hopslam Ale
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2011, 06:48:25 pm »
You know, I knew brewers were good people.   ;)  I was just joshing with you guys!!  I know that Hopslam is not in the same league as Pliny, and as I drink my second one, I see why.  Sorry to have offended anyone with my comparison, I really know that my palette is not refined enough to distinguish different flavors, that's why I will never make it to the BJCP.  I only say a beer is ok, good, great, or amazing!  Hopslam is definitely great, Pliny is amazing! 

I don't think anyone was saying one was better than the other, just that the two beers are not all that similar, except for having lots of hops and high alcohol.

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2011, 09:42:46 pm »
hopfenundmalz,

I appreciate the recipe. Thanks!
If you don't get in over your head, how are you ever going to know how tall you are.

Offline cheba420

• Brewer
  • Can I get a beer up in here?
    • The Beer Research Institute
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2011, 09:03:27 am »
I've always been a huge fan of Bells. Love that 2 Hearted Ale! Just got my hands on a 6er yesterday at the local Bevmo. Came in at $16.00 which is the most I've ever paid for a 6 pack. Hope its good. I'll be brewing today and plan on cracking one of these bad boys at flame out!
Matt
Mesa, AZ.

On Tap: Vanilla Porter, Belgian Blonde, Saison, Black IPA, Punkin Porter
Primary: Pale 31 Clone, Raspberry Cider
Secondary: Vanilla Porter
Conditioning: Brett IPA
Bottles:Mosaic Wheat
On Deck: Flanders Red, Berliner weisse, Punkin Saison, Saison Brett

Offline abraxas

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2011, 12:02:17 pm »
I feel like this years batch has much less pineapple than I remember from previous batches.  True to previous batches I get a lot of grapefuit, citrus and hop spiciness. 

Hint of alcohol with a high drinkability, this has cut a couple of my drinking sessions short, luckily I am within walking distance of a few bars that have it on tap.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2011, 09:15:47 am »
I had Hopslam at the Indiana Winterfest last Saturday.  While a decent beer, I found it to be overbearingly hop vegetale.  The hopping is plainly apparent, but the green chlorophyl undertones of having had too much hop matter on the beer predominates to me.  Not a beer that I would wantingly drink.  While Hopslam is a different style, it does not hold a candle to Two-Hearted.  Hopslam was brewed to be extreme and they succeeded.  I'll pass.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2011, 12:10:27 pm »
Martin, have you tried The Oracle.  That is more to my liking, as it is Bell's take on a West Coast DIPA.

I do like Hopslam, though.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!