Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: "Lactic" Flavor  (Read 16426 times)

Offline Kirk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Sparks, NV
"Lactic" Flavor
« on: February 03, 2011, 08:59:38 pm »
My friend says that Lactic Acid imparts a "lactic" flavor to beer, and advises against it's use.  I don't know what "lactic" flavor means, "milky"?  So anyway, what do you think?  Any truth to that?
Kirk Howell

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
Re: "Lactic" Flavor
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 09:14:55 pm »
Lactic has to do with lactobacillus  (sp)  bacteria which imparts a sour flavor to beer, but it is popular in lambics and such.
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 09:20:07 pm »
Used in small quantities it is a great acid to use. Most lightly colored German beers are brewed with some lactic acid for pH correction and none of them seem to have a "lactic" taste.

Kai

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 11:02:27 pm »
Lactic acid doesn't really have much flavor; hence its widespread use in Belgian styles, and by most tasters' interpretation, has the "cleanest" tartness of just about any acid.  Same stuff found in sour cream and yogurt.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 11:37:18 pm »
Yeah, lactic is pretty clean and soft, that is why some wines are produced with a malolactic fermentation, where the harsher malic acid is converted to lactic acid.  Don't overuse it, but it can be used in small amounts and be unnoticed in the beer.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 05:18:51 am »
Lactic used for acidification of mash and sparge doesn't generally add any flavor. IME lactic spiked to boost the tartness in something like a Belgian Witbier will have a slightly artificial flavor to it if overdone as opposed to naturally occurring lactic characteristics.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 06:14:46 am »
I think it was Palmer that said the flavor threshold of 88% lactic acid is about 2ml per gallon.  Thats nearly double what you typically need to acidify a mash, especially if you add your flavor additions (CaCl2 and/or CaSO4) to the mash water.

I've tasted it straight and it is quite tart.  Yoghurt's tartness is due to lactic, probably at a significant level.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 08:10:02 am »
Berliner Weisse is the classic style that best showcases the flavor of lactic acid. I love it - so crisp, light & refreshing. Used to be difficult to find, but there are getting to be more US breweries brewing this style. For me, I get the lactic acid along the back/side of my jaw. Makes me salivate just thinking about it.
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 09:06:54 am »
My friend says that Lactic Acid imparts a "lactic" flavor to beer, and advises against it's use.  I don't know what "lactic" flavor means, "milky"?  So anyway, what do you think?  Any truth to that?

Has your friend ever tried it or is he just repeating what he's heard somewhere?  I can tell you from personal experience that used in moderation lactic acid adds no flavors at all to the beer.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 09:10:21 am »
I'm not sure I would go so far as to say no flavor with lactic, but the food grade lactic that we typically use is a pretty clean and one-dimensional flavor in my opinion.  I've grown nice Berliner Weisse cultures and the flavors from that are much richer and complex.  In either case, I agree that lactic acid is one of the cleaner acid flavor producers.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 03:20:28 pm »
I think we need to be clear...lactic used preboil for mash and sparge water in normal amounts will contribute no appreciable difference in taste in the final product. Lactic spiked to boost tartness after fermentation is complete may add an "artificial" characteristic to the final product. Perhaps I should add IME.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 03:37:54 pm »
Good points, Mike.  And good luck on BDOY!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2011, 05:14:11 pm »
Would you taste 1ml/gal added after fermentation?  Does boiling volatilize or otherwise cause degradation of the lactic acid?  Or is this all about the dose?
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Kirk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Sparks, NV
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2011, 09:38:59 am »
I used it yesterday for the first time, pre-boil of course.  Great stuff.  Cleanest wort and highest efficiency I've ever produced.
Kirk Howell

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2011, 11:51:11 am »
For Pale beers, there is definitely a good chance that your mash can benefit from some acid additions since even low residual alkalinity water is unlikely to get your pH in the 5.4 - 5.6 range.

Kai