Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Roasting your own grain  (Read 8401 times)

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Re: Roasting your own grain
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2011, 10:10:39 am »
I think Charlie P talks about the pillow case technique in one of his books as well.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2011, 02:32:02 pm »
I've read in the past that after roasting oats you should let them 'air out' for at least a week... something about giving some not so nice flavors to the beer... I'll have to see if I can find it again.
Phoenix, AZ

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2011, 04:40:35 pm »
Not specifically with regard to oats but Palmer talks about letting home roasted grains sit in a paper bag for two weeks to "allow time for the harsher aromatics to escape."  It's on p. 246 of How to Brew.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2011, 06:30:45 pm »
Hmmm, roasting in the dryer. Well, I have speed marinated meat in the dryer..... so why not.  ;D
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2011, 02:04:00 am »
Hmmm, roasting in the dryer. Well, I have speed marinated meat in the dryer..... so why not.  ;D

Whaaaaa?
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2011, 06:34:25 am »
LOL..... I knew I would get someone's attention with that statement. Marinating meat, for on the grill. In a bag with your favorite juice in the fridge for 12+ hours works, unless the dinner plans get created at two in the afternoon for that evening. Google "marinating" and "rock tumbler" together and you'll see what I'm talking about. But, if you don't have a rock tumbler you put your meat and juice in two or three heavy freezer bags with a crap load of rubber bandies or duct tape around it and put it in the dryer on "vent" (as in no heat) for a half hour or so and the marinade gets beaten at least a quarter inch into the meat, plus things seem to tenderize somewhat...... According to my "taste testers" it works like a charm.

Sorry about the high jack..... ;)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 06:36:14 am by oscarvan »
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2011, 07:03:05 am »
LOL..... I knew I would get someone's attention with that statement. Marinating meat, for on the grill. In a bag with your favorite juice in the fridge for 12+ hours works, unless the dinner plans get created at two in the afternoon for that evening. Google "marinating" and "rock tumbler" together and you'll see what I'm talking about. But, if you don't have a rock tumbler you put your meat and juice in two or three heavy freezer bags with a crap load of rubber bandies or duct tape around it and put it in the dryer on "vent" (as in no heat) for a half hour or so and the marinade gets beaten at least a quarter inch into the meat, plus things seem to tenderize somewhat...... According to my "taste testers" it works like a charm.

Sorry about the high jack..... ;)

That's super neat! Thanks for the tip. Now I can tell my wife we can get a dryer!
----

Offline dzlater

• Brewmaster
  • Dan S. New Jersey
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2011, 05:28:15 am »
Did my roasting experiment the other day. It worked out OK.
Toasting the malt to a low lovibond was easy.
When doing the darker roast it was hard to get them to an even color.
The crystal worked out real nice, took a long time but they smelled and tasted really good.
I was aiming for a C40 but I think I overshot that.
Brewed with it yesterday wort tasted really nice.
Here is pic of the crystal, I am guessing 100L?

Dan S. from NJ

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2011, 06:00:40 am »
Ah, thanks for the reminder about this thread. I just popped open a bottle yesterday of the stout that I did with the home-roasted grains. I was concerned about not letting them sit in the paper bag for a while to get rid of weird harsh flavors, but the concern was unfounded - the beer tastes great! I added some chocolate powder and a chipotle chili to the secondary and the nose is FULL of cocoa, it's so neat!

moral of the story: if you're only roasting light-to-medium, in my experience you don't need to worry about "aging" it post-roast.
----