Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cal Lager for Light Lagers- Hmm, not so sure.  (Read 1279 times)

Offline Kirk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Sparks, NV
Cal Lager for Light Lagers- Hmm, not so sure.
« on: February 01, 2011, 06:07:17 pm »
I've been doing Cal Lager yeast for awhile now, thinking it was really good.  But today I compared two Marzens, one fermented with a Cal, and the other with a blend of Chech Pilsener-German Bock.  The pilsener-bock was far superior at this stage of the game, about 1 month old, not carbonated yet.  The Cal had a bitterness in it that I didn't care for.  It will get better with time, but I'm thinking of ending my affair with Cal Lager yeast.  Can I get a witness?
Kirk Howell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Cal Lager for Light Lagers- Hmm, not so sure.
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 07:55:25 pm »
For any German lager I would use one of the German lager yeasts.  For a Czech lager a Czech strain.  Use the proper amounts when you pitch, O2, and control the temps to where the yeast performs the best. 

Get the right tool for the job and learn how to use it.  That is what my old man would say.  It holds true here too.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 09:06:22 am »
I've never agreed with the idea that the CA yeast makes good lagers.  I've always gotten far better results on pseudo lagers using WY1007.  It's just seems cleaner and crisper than the CA.  And like you say, there's nothing like using a REAL lager yeast.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Kirk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Sparks, NV
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 10:44:36 am »
Yep, I've had good luck with the CA yeast on darker beers, schwarzbier especially, really good luck.  But on this one, barely a Marzen, SRM 7, my own malt build, 48% Vienna, 38% Pilsener, 14% Munich, it's weakness was revealed.  As you guys know better than I, the light lager malt build will display, even advertise, your brewing choices and techniques on center stage, whereas you can hide a lot of "stuff" in a dark build.  Anyways, good lesson learned.
Kirk Howell

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 08:06:47 pm »
I used Cal Lager yeast in Cal Common as well as dark beer.
I have to say first I was hesitant but I got good results.
That was at 60F fermentation temp.
Now I am quite fond of that yeast.

I also agree if you want German lager use German yeast.
If you want Czech Lager, use Czech yeast.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com