Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hop mess.....  (Read 6125 times)

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
Hop mess.....
« on: February 04, 2011, 03:44:06 pm »
OK, every brew things are getting a little better, a few items left on the to do list... (other than the thermometers)  ;D

so far I've been using pellets, no bags. It is however annoying when I get to the bottom of the BK and the wort starts clogging up the strainers over the bucket and it turns into a Chinese fire drill, as I can't stop the flow as it will kill the syphon through the 90ยบ turn to the bottom of the barrel....If you follow.

So, I'm thinking about putting a false bottom in the bottom of the BK.

Will the ones with the larger holes (1/8" -ish ) stop the hops? Will it clog them up?

I may have to use bags except that I don't think the hops will be able to give off their juices as efficiently....

Comments please, thank you.
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
Re: Hop mess.....
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 04:01:19 pm »
Some options...

1. Forget the strainer altogether, lot's of folks (myself included) let everything go into the fermenter.  It'll settle out.

2. Once the strainer clogs, let the rest go in the bucket.  That'll cut down a lot of the gunk.

3. Line your bucket with one of those paint strainer bags, rack, and then lift the bag (and the gunk) out of the bucket.
Joe

Offline thirdhand2

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 04:09:14 pm »
I use Jumbo tea strainers. Since I feed my wort thru a counterflow chiller I need to keep the gunk out.

http://www.fantes.com/images/7617infusers.jpg

Art
Art - Anacortes, WA

jaybeerman

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 04:15:36 pm »
I think dean mentioned, a few days back, having to put his arm into the wort to clear hops from his screen.   :D  A few years back I had to do the same thing in two of three batches.  Moments after cleaning up from the third batch I ordered a false bottom for my kettle.  I now run a bazooka under the false bottom (3/32" holes).  If I use pellets I use them early in the boil and pretty much always use whole hops for flavoring/aroma.  No clogs even when i brew american barleywine and IPA.  cheers, j

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 04:43:27 pm »
+1 on the bazooka. I have it mounted along the side of the kettle so it doesn't interfere with the whirlpool.
Brew on

Offline Tim McManus

• Assistant Brewer
    • Haskell Brewing Company
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 04:46:06 pm »
We took the bottom flange for a toilet flange and dropped a nylon mesh paint straining bag in the middle of it and clamped it around the outside.  Then, we took an old wire tomato holder and used that to suspend the strainer in the boil kettle.

So for about $15 we can transfer from the mash to the boil kettle with the strainer, and then throw hop pellets inside of it.  None of that stuff ever gets through the bags and to the bottom of the kettle.  The whole contraption will be nicely suspended in the boil kettle and you can throw most anything into it that you want to add to the wort but not have it get left at the bottom of the kettle.

Yeah, I brew with another guy and after a few pints we look at everything in the garage and ask ourselves, "I wonder if I can brew with that...."
Tim McManus
Haskell, NJ

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 04:53:55 pm »
Some options...

1. Forget the strainer altogether, lot's of folks (myself included) let everything go into the fermenter.  It'll settle out.

2. Once the strainer clogs, let the rest go in the bucket.  That'll cut down a lot of the gunk.

3. Line your bucket with one of those paint strainer bags, rack, and then lift the bag (and the gunk) out of the bucket.

Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 05:28:14 pm »
How about putting one of these stainless steel scrubbies around your pickup tube?

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 05:30:49 pm »
How about putting one of these stainless steel scrubbies around your pickup tube?

Those make excellent column packing.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline Tim McManus

• Assistant Brewer
    • Haskell Brewing Company
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 06:36:07 pm »

I wonder if these work better than rice hulls for a stuck mash.
Tim McManus
Haskell, NJ

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 06:38:47 pm »
Converted keg BK IIRC. If you use all leaf hops, the domed, perforated FB works great. You can use pellet too, just make sure to use an ounce or two of leaf to help filter the pellet hops and hot break material.
 I took it a step further and wrapped my ABT false bottom on both sides in SS screen, raised it off the botton a tad, giving me 205 sq. in. of straining area. Awesome! I still use an oz or two of leaf if I can't use all leaf(my pref) to help out since I use a PC. I have brewed 10g Pliny clones with it's metric assload of hops and nary a hiccup.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 07:48:09 am by maxieboy »
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline lonnie mac

• Assistant Brewer
    • Alenuts
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 06:41:08 pm »

Ah, I have often wondered...!

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2011, 08:06:59 pm »

Ah, I have often wondered...!

I have used these when racking from a primary into a bottling bucket. It's shocking how much these strainers pick up even when I think I'm racking clear beer.

That said, for the last several batches, I have been pouring the cooled wort through a 12" mesh strainer into a sanitized bucket and then funneling it into a fermenter. I didn't think the strainer was fine enough to catch the pelletized hops, but durned if it doesn't--in fact, I have to use a sanitized spoon to scrape aside hop stuff so the wort will keep on flowing. I have a theory that "sparging" the wort through the hop debris also gives the wort one last bump of hop goodness. It certainly has reduced the amount of trub in the fermenter. I regret not having brewed something to rack onto the last yeast cake -- it looked perfect. My fermented beer also looks much clearer.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2011, 08:51:15 pm »
Another option is to whirlpool for 10 min and let the hop and trubs settle just prior to chill and transfer. A paint stirrer or mix-stir on a cordless drill will work for whirlpooling.
Ron Price

Offline dzlater

• Brewmaster
  • Dan S. New Jersey
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2011, 05:06:34 am »
Umm.... why not just use bags ?
If the bags are large enough so the hops aren't compressed inside it works real well.
I use those paint strainer bags.
Easy cheap and reusable.
Dan S. from NJ