Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: oak spirals aged with different whiskeys  (Read 994 times)

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
oak spirals aged with different whiskeys
« on: February 17, 2020, 06:43:51 pm »
So I'm planning on making an "imperial" oatmeal raisin stout. This beer will be to honor my dad. My idea was to use two of his favorite whiskeys. One is a bourbon and one is balvine double wood. I plan on aging them for roughly 2months in addition to the raisins. Will the bourbon and scotch blend well?
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drank, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, “It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.

Offline rburrelli

• Assistant Brewer
Re: oak spirals aged with different whiskeys
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2020, 03:16:57 pm »
If I were you I would simply try them and find out. But I really don’t see much of an issue. Just don’t overdo it.
11:11 Brewing
“Brewing with Attention and Intention.”

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2020, 04:00:42 pm »
Make the beer then do some bench trials to dial in the percentages of spirits.

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2020, 06:15:04 pm »
I'm a big fan of Balvenie myself.  Another method you could use to find the flavor you're looking for is just blend the whiskies.  Do some small (or not so small) samples, blending them together in different proportions, and see if you find what you're looking for.  Granted, flavors will be a little different when you actually use it with spirals in a beer.  But it should give you an idea as to what kind of split you want to do.

You'll also get to do some whisk(e)y sampling. :D