Author Topic: whirlpool/dry hops? how much?  (Read 371 times)

Online blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
    • View Profile
Re: whirlpool/dry hops? how much?
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2018, 08:13:32 PM »
How about containing the hops in a mesh container in a keg and periodically jumping the beer back and forth to another, à la torpedo?   Oxygen pickup at the outset would still be a problem. Maybe just flush that keg with CO2 the best you can.  Anyway it's just an idea you could play with.
I use a sure screen (works better than a mesh bag and allows the hops to be commando rather than constrained).  I used to flip the keg every day to reagitate the hops, but got lazy and haven't done that in some time.  Since I make 10 gallon batches, a test of flipping (which would marginally simulate what keith is doing) one keg and not the other might be interesting to try out.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline Robert

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2018, 08:32:49 PM »
How about containing the hops in a mesh container in a keg and periodically jumping the beer back and forth to another, à la torpedo?   Oxygen pickup at the outset would still be a problem. Maybe just flush that keg with CO2 the best you can.  Anyway it's just an idea you could play with.
I use a sure screen (works better than a mesh bag and allows the hops to be commando rather than constrained).  I used to flip the keg every day to reagitate the hops, but got lazy and haven't done that in some time.  Since I make 10 gallon batches, a test of flipping (which would marginally simulate what keith is doing) one keg and not the other might be interesting to try out.

Yeah that's way simpler.  I guess Keith can't really flip his tanks LOL,  recirc is the only option at that scale.  Maybe this is one of those cases where homebrewers are actually at an advantage.
Rob
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline TANSTAAFB

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Today at 03:42:02 AM »
I absolutely LOVE the new Cryo hops from YCH!!! I've used Citra and Mosaic so far and you can get a huge hop punch with less hop material, so you don't get any grassy, vegetal flavor from tossing a metric f@#k ton of hops in. I have gone to a small bittering charge as FWH and then everything else that was in my old recipes (those 30-15-5-0 additions) gets moved to the whirlpool. I chill to 170 and whirlpool for  about 30 minutes. That usually drops to around 150. They stay in the wort through chilling and runoff into the fermenter. I'm really digging the beers I'm making these days!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Today at 11:53:23 AM »
It is some time and effort, but I have had excellent results using my HopRocket as a torpedo, and transferbetween kegs. Receiving keg is purged. Load HopRocket with whole cone hops, purge the HopRocket and lines with CO2. Transfer beer slowly. You can then transfer back and forth between the kegs to get the exposure time to the hops. I think I did it 4 times and really liked the results.

I need to do this again. Finding whole cone hops has been hard of late, but my LHBS has some ounces in again. Time to do that technique again.
Jeff Rankert
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
AHA Governing Committee
BJCP National
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!