Author Topic: Honey, vanilla, cinnamon  (Read 45 times)

Offline Joe

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
Honey, vanilla, cinnamon
« on: Today at 07:47:45 AM »
So I've made a bunch of beers following recipes. And I've modified a few recipes. But I'm looking to Branch out and do my own. I was thinking about doing a honey vanilla cinnamon blonde. Something light and summery with a hint of that cinnamon spice. However I have never used any of those ingredients. Do you have any suggestions as far as when to add them, how much to use. Or if this sounds completely awful that advice would also be heeded. Thanks for any and all help.

Offline Andor

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
Re: Honey, vanilla, cinnamon
« Reply #1 on: Today at 08:24:45 AM »
So I've made a bunch of beers following recipes. And I've modified a few recipes. But I'm looking to Branch out and do my own. I was thinking about doing a honey vanilla cinnamon blonde. Something light and summery with a hint of that cinnamon spice. However I have never used any of those ingredients. Do you have any suggestions as far as when to add them, how much to use. Or if this sounds completely awful that advice would also be heeded. Thanks for any and all help.

Honey will ferment out and not leave much actual honey flavor. If you want honey in it I'd say maybe 10% of fermentables

1-2 vanilla beans cut open and added to secondary for a few weeks or use a high quality extract at bottling/legging

Cinammon 1/2-1 tsp added 5-10 minutes before the end of the boil (beware or spices, less is usually best)

These are generic suggestions.  Take notes, adjust and rebrew to get closer and closer to the beer you are imagining.

Offline Joe

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
Re: Honey, vanilla, cinnamon
« Reply #2 on: Today at 09:15:48 AM »
I'll try that. Would a blonde be a suitable beer or would a rye or something be more suited?