Author Topic: Nelson IPA  (Read 54 times)

Offline zsmith87

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
Nelson IPA
« on: Today at 03:11:02 PM »
Recently had a Trillium Dialed In http://www.trilliumbrewing.com/trillium-dialed-in-double-ipa/ which is brewed with Sauvignon Blanc grape juice. It began to make me think what it would be like adding a half of bottle of Sauvignon Blanc wine to an IPA heavily hopped with Nelson Sauvignon. Has anyone ever done this before? Is a half of bottle too much or too little?

Thanks for the feedback.

Offline erockrph

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Chepachet, RI
    • View Profile
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Nelson IPA
« Reply #1 on: Today at 04:03:36 PM »
I brewed a Saison using Gewürztraminer grape must and Nelson Sauvin hops. I used 3 quarts of must in secondary added to 3 gallons of beer. I ended up aging it about 6 months before it hit its prime. At that point the hops had dropped off and the wine character took over. I used 2 ounces of hops in the whirlpool.

I know it's not exactly what you're looking for, but it's at least one data point you could reference. If I were brewing an IPA with wine added I'd guess about 2 bottles in a typical 5 gallon batch would be a good starting point. But if I was using wine I'd probably just mix it in the glass at serving time rather than adding it all in the beer.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer