Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Briess Pale Ale malt  (Read 7415 times)

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Briess Pale Ale malt
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2021, 04:50:52 pm »
Yeah, when you add in actual aroma hop levels and hop types and so on it becomes prohibitely long. but at the moment my real beer names are basically

"k97 EKG"
"DME 20 min lager" (a test for fastest beer to pump out)

etc

i think its not something i would try to really think too much into, but im trying to avoid saying "vienna lager" or "northern english brown ale" unless it is exactly that without variation.

just for practical purposes.

belgian categories are too broad in scope and overlapping imho and severely lacking in certain areas. im thinking of doing exclusively <1.055 gravity belgians this time around that arent just "belgian single" or pale ale

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Briess Pale Ale malt
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2021, 05:05:59 pm »
I like to give my beers names based on local historic sites, funny local names, etc. (i.e. McKaleb Mill 80/-, Hurricane Creek Cal Common, Bell Factory Blonde, Three Forks Golden Ale, Buckhorn Tavern Pils, Potato Knob Summer Ale, Lick Skillet Fest Bier, Bishop’s Tavern Amber Ale, Berry Mnt Pale Ale, ..., ect)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2021, 05:28:56 pm »

Is it possible you are overthinking the water? Our water is actually pretty good here. I'll brew with it with only minor adjustments for most styles. Like I said somewhere else for pale beers I might dilute it 50/50 with RO or distilled and add some calcium chloride or sulphate and a bit of lactic.

I figure if I am buying half the water I might as well get it all so I don’t have to treat for chlorine.

Bicarbonate computed = alkalinity * 61/50:

Have you ever had Yellowhammer's Kölsch? That has won some gold medals and the water is very similar to ours out in the county. All I do (did) with that was lactic acid and calcium chloride. Now, I haven't had it in 2 years so can't say what they are doing now but it was good when I brewed it. ;)

I do build my water from scratch at home sometimes but just as often I brew with it as is with minor adjustments. And sometimes when I have tried to get too fancy I have had some weird results. OTOH it could just be that I don't know what I'm doing.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2021, 05:59:05 pm »
...OTOH it could just be that I don't know what I'm doing.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2021, 06:47:22 pm »
Yeah, when you add in actual aroma hop levels and hop types and so on it becomes prohibitely long. but at the moment my real beer names are basically

"k97 EKG"

etc

i think its not something i would try to really think too much into, but im trying to avoid saying "vienna lager" or "northern english brown ale" unless it is exactly that without variation.

belgian categories are too broad in scope and overlapping imho and severely lacking in certain areas. im thinking of doing exclusively <1.055 gravity belgians this time around that arent just "belgian single" or pale ale
Yeah, unless something is dead on for style I name it by whatever ingredients or variations it has that differentiate it. "Windsor Landlord",  "Lutra/Motueka Pils", "Oatmeal Brown", etc. I'd obviously take a different approach if I had to market my beers, but that's enough for me to tell my beers apart. If I'm dialing in a recipe,  then I usually tack on a "Mk. III" or something like that at the end.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2021, 08:08:07 pm »

"k97 EKG"

etc

Yeah, unless something is dead on for style I name it by whatever ingredients or variations it has that differentiate it. "Windsor Landlord",  "Lutra/Motueka Pils", "Oatmeal Brown", etc. I'd obviously take a different approach if I had to market my beers, but that's enough for me to tell my beers apart. If I'm dialing in a recipe,  then I usually tack on a "Mk. III" or something like that at the end.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

it is HIGHLY appreciated by me when a commercial beer has a descriptive name. nothing i hate more than the beer simply being labeled "Atomic Goose Piss" or "The Feelgood Project" and some expensive artwork i dont want to be paying for rather than just "______'s Brewing - Strong Brown Ale"

Offline neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2021, 09:55:30 am »
Apparently I'm an oddball. I still like BJCP style names because I can relate to it when I go back and look at my records, and so others will have some idea what to expect when I tell them the style. For beers that don't exactly fit the style, I call it whatever style is closest, with a note to that effect. It works for me.

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2021, 04:03:08 pm »
I like their Pale Ale Malt and MaltGems Synergy Select Pilsen Malt. I liked their Full Pint Malt but I think it is no longer being produced from Briess.