General Category > Ingredients

Decarbonation by Boiling

<< < (3/3)

TrippleRippleBrewer:

--- Quote from: hopfenundmalz on May 28, 2012, 01:13:45 PM ---
--- Quote from: PortageMIBrewer on May 28, 2012, 06:03:52 AM ---My water is very hard and I tried this last brewing session. Nothing precipitated and I ended up using the water as-is. A bit of a waste of time and propane I guess. I added Gypsum initially too, but nothing.

Good thing I was brewing IPA.

--- End quote ---

WIth the Michigan ground water I use, if I boil and cool overnight, there is a white "fur"deposit on the kettle. Did you cool it?

--- End quote ---

Not long enough and that was the problem. I tried this the morning of brewing and should have done it the night before.

1vertical:
Disclaimer: I am in no way associated with Glacier Water ....

I go to the local Glacier machine however before I brew and get 10 gallons of the vended water.
The machine says the water is treated thusly.....
http://www.glacierwater.com/pdfs/Vended%20Water%20Fact%20Sheet.pdf

Since this is RO and salts have been removed I thought I was safe to add a small amount
of salts back to this treated water.  Which by the way tastes GREAT.  So using Palmer's
nomograph based upon the SRM of the beer I am planning, I add back small amounts
of salts to obtain the desired target end result.  I also have been using Kai's method of
dissolving Chalk in a keg of highly carbonated Distilled water....about 5 grams of chalk in
a half gallon.  After I preheat the tun, and drain that water out, I add the Carbonated
chalk water to the tun and then mash in as usual.  For the record, this produces Good results.
Wish I had a Ph meter to see what was happening with the mash ....sorry I do not.

kramerog:

--- Quote from: mabrungard on February 05, 2011, 08:20:28 AM ---                              
The water is heated to boiling or near-boiling and stirred, splashed, or aerated to help get the CO2 out of the water.  As CO2 leaves the water, CaCO3 precipitates and causes the water to become cloudy.  The heating is ended and the precipitate is allowed to settle quietly to the bottom of the vessel.  The water is then immediately decanted off the sediment and used for brewing.  The water cannot be allowed to sit too long on the sediment or CO2 will again diffuse from the atmosphere into the cooled water and redissolve the CaCO3. 

This process does not reduce the magnesium content since Mg(OH)2 is much more soluble than CaCO3 in water and the CaCO3 precipitates first, leaving the magnesium with the bicarbonate remaining in the water. 

--- End quote ---

Some of the explanation confuses me but I think I figured it out.  Does this sound right?  Aeration and heat causes CO2 to be emitted.  The source of the CO2 is bicarbonate which has to absorb a proton.  This causes the solution to become slightly more alkaline causing some of the remaining bicarbonate to transform into carbonate and to precipitate as calcium carbonate.

joe_feist:
I think this info is great. I also live in MI and draw from a well. I believe my total hardness is about 350. I use to boil 'sometimes'. Now I add some gypsum, boil and let sit with a lid on over night. There is always a very healthy level of precip in the kettle. I guess it's possible some moved back into solution, but there's a lot that didn't. Thanks Martin.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version