General Category > Ingredients

Decarbonation by Boiling

<< < (2/3) > >>

punatic:
Interesting that the calcium/magnesium ratio is upside-down in Munich.  That's the way the groundwater is here on Hawaii Island too.

alcaponejunior:
Excellent article.  I plan to be brewing in an area with very hard water, so this will be useful.  Sticky'd.

TrippleRippleBrewer:
My water is very hard and I tried this last brewing session. Nothing precipitated and I ended up using the water as-is. A bit of a waste of time and propane I guess. I added Gypsum initially too, but nothing.

Good thing I was brewing IPA.

hopfenundmalz:

--- Quote from: PortageMIBrewer on May 28, 2012, 06:03:52 AM ---My water is very hard and I tried this last brewing session. Nothing precipitated and I ended up using the water as-is. A bit of a waste of time and propane I guess. I added Gypsum initially too, but nothing.

Good thing I was brewing IPA.

--- End quote ---

WIth the Michigan ground water I use, if I boil and cool overnight, there is a white "fur"deposit on the kettle. Did you cool it?

tumarkin:
Hey Martin,
In regards to your statement - "water cannot be allowed to sit too long on the sediment or CO2 will again diffuse from the atmosphere into the cooled water and redissolve the CaCO."

What would you consider "too long?" Would overnight be ok. Would be nice to boil in the evening, then decant the next morning before the brew session if that's within acceptable timeframe.

Thanks for this great info,
Mark

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version