Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Souring Guinness clone  (Read 5503 times)

Offline beerstache

• Cellarman
Souring Guinness clone
« on: February 05, 2011, 03:10:55 pm »
I read this procedure in a Guinness clone recipe to get the sour taste and am wondering if it works or if I am wasting good beer for this.  One week before brewing, put 24 oz. of guinness in a bowl and let it sit out for 4 days to get sour.  Freeze until brew day.  On brew day remove and thaw.  Then boil it for 10 minutes before flameout and add at flameout.
Has anybody tried this?  Are there any other methods to get the sour taste?
Thanks everybody!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Souring Guinness clone
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 03:24:02 pm »
You could do a sour mash like you were making a Berliner weisse - mash in the night before and let it sit overnight before mashing out and sparging.  I would start by just doing a portion of the mash, maybe 5-20%, and then adding the rest of the grain and mashing normally the next day.  That will help keep it from getting as sour as a Berliner weisse.

That's just one idea, you could also add acid, acid malt, do a full lacto/brett batch and blend it, add a bottle of lambic, whatever.  Obviously some of the ideas are better than others ;D

If you go with their method you could add some grains to speed up the souring of the Guinness.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline beerstache

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 01:57:16 pm »
Thanks.  I'll try adding some grains then taste it before freezing to see if it's what I want or not.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 02:54:39 pm »
Or do it the easy, controllable way and just add a little lactic acid at the end of fermentation.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 02:49:48 am »
I JUST did this!

About a week before your brew day, mash 2 oz of base malt with 1 cup of water in a coffee thermos or a mason jar or something. Let the micro-mash sit there at ambient temperature, sealed in the jar/thermos for the whole week, and then add that mash to your full dry stout mash at sparge - works great. My dry stout has a very subtle sour/umami quality like that in Guinness.

Offline beerstache

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 03:24:35 pm »
Denny,
How much lactic acid should I add?  When in the process?  In the mash or kettle boil?
Thanks for the tips.
Tom

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 06:38:44 pm »
It is my understanding that the soured wort addition is blended after fermentation.  You definitely would not want to add acid to the mash since that will drive the mash pH too low which will produce a thin and tart beer. 

Mash it right, sour it later.   
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks