Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewing Lessons of Life  (Read 3824 times)

Offline Wheat_Brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Bad Bunny Brewing
Brewing Lessons of Life
« on: August 21, 2011, 10:55:55 am »
So I'm just starting the boil on my cheer beer and I'm for some reason in a deep thought mood.  Since my wife is at best faking interest in the details of homebrewing I'm turning to my friends on the AHA forum who hopefully understand!  So here they are in no order:

-More isn't always better...my last cheer beer had just about every spice in the cabinet and every grain you could buy.  A year later I've learned simple is often better and more flavorful.

-No one brewing session has, or ever will, go to plan.  I will at some point burn myself, forget the sparge water, have a boil over, forget to put my manifold into the cooler until after I've added the scalding hot water, etc

-Drinking the perfect homebrew for that moment means I had better plan 3-6 months out, because a lager just can't be made in an afternoon

-I love my friends but not their beer selections...we just had a backyard brew off and to my amazement the beers that won were something close to the macro lagers and not anything worth actually trying...this may make me a beer snob but at the end of the day there's just too many good beers out there to try

-Homebrewing has made me something of a local celebrity, but it also means people expect me to provide ALL the beer at a party/wedding/BBQ.  Reference the thought above about my friends taste, plus beer for everybody I know gets expensive and I'm to the point of not having many "friends" anymore (close circle of friends would be ideal)

-I love homebrewing and dream of the day when I own my own bar with microbrewery...but that may just be a dream.  At that might just be ok because I have a lot of fun brewing...why ruin a good thing? 

Anyway this is just a random thought process that needed to get out and be heard by somebody somewhere.  Thanks all!
AHA Lifetime Member

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
Re: Brewing Lessons of Life
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 04:56:39 pm »
I've learned simple is often better

Definite words to live by!
Joe

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 05:53:22 pm »
My wife will not fake her interest in homebrewing-she has none.  But she loves what has become the homebrewing"lifestyle".
1. People who brew their own beer, make their own soap or even just cook from scratch are more interesting than people who don't.
2.  Places where the natives enjoy good beer are great places to vacation, even if beer is not a priority for her.
3.Do not try to please everybody.   A very good friend who is a Coors Light drinker told me at a recent cookout that even though he doesn't like the styles of beer I brew he does appreciate the quality of the product I serve my friends. 
4. I don't provide free beer on a "to go" basis.  I'll drink with anybody, however much they want under my shade trees, but I'm not a free take out service.
My wife started my homebrewing addiction with a kit in 1992 and is very happy with where that has taken us, even though my brewing stuff takes 2/3 of the garage and may account for 1/3 of our electric bill.  She never has to worry that I'm in town drinking at a bar, chasing floozies and dodging the law-she knows I'm right here where the best beer in town is.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 06:05:49 pm »
People who brew their own beer, make their own soap or even just cook from scratch are more interesting than people who don't.

This.
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 06:46:04 pm »
My wife will not fake her interest in homebrewing-she has none.  But she loves what has become the homebrewing"lifestyle".
1. People who brew their own beer, make their own soap or even just cook from scratch are more interesting than people who don't.
2.  Places where the natives enjoy good beer are great places to vacation, even if beer is not a priority for her.
3.Do not try to please everybody.   A very good friend who is a Coors Light drinker told me at a recent cookout that even though he doesn't like the styles of beer I brew he does appreciate the quality of the product I serve my friends. 
4. I don't provide free beer on a "to go" basis.  I'll drink with anybody, however much they want under my shade trees, but I'm not a free take out service.
My wife started my homebrewing addiction with a kit in 1992 and is very happy with where that has taken us, even though my brewing stuff takes 2/3 of the garage and may account for 1/3 of our electric bill.  She never has to worry that I'm in town drinking at a bar, chasing floozies and dodging the law-she knows I'm right here where the best beer in town is.

I like #4 . . A lot of folks around me have learned about growlers, and assume I'm more than ready to accommodate their desire to have it filled . . .   ???
Just brew it...

Offline madscientist

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 06:59:37 am »
My wife loves the hobby and she's doing her best to learn everything about beer and try different ones.  She's helped me brew some days.  She's stirred in extract and loves adding the hops to the beer.  She's very supportive of it and says she can't wait till I can take it outside when we get a house (We're in an apartment now with an electric stove).  I told her this means some equipment upgrades and she just smiled. 
Homebrewed since 2010

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 09:29:22 am »
Same with my wife, we've met good folks and enjoyed ourselves at many microbreweries and a few homebrew competitions.

Keep it simple and more is less, this is easily said but it takes real discipline to carry through.  I have a real bad habit of throwing the kitchen sink in every brew.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 01:19:59 pm by tomsawyer »
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 09:48:11 am »
People who brew their own beer, make their own soap or even just cook from scratch are more interesting than people who don't.

This.

Yep

we just had a backyard brew off and to my amazement the beers that won were something close to the macro lagers and not anything worth actually trying

I've noticed that the results of informal competitions of any kind are very unpredictable and useless.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 09:52:48 am »
Same with my wife, we've met good folks and enjoyed ourselves at many microbreweries and a few homebrew competitions.

Keep it simple and more is less, this is easily said but it takes real discipline to carry though.  I have a real bad habit of throwing the kitchen sink in every brew.

I absolutly agree, So for my wifes first brew day we are doing a triple decoction hefe. howmuch more simple could it be? ::)
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline tonyp

• Brewmaster
  • If it ain't broke you aren't trying hard enough...
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 09:59:17 am »
Luckily my wife loves brewing with me also, makes my brewday so much nicer, and it also helps when I mention needing a new piece of brewing equipment :)
Live from the Jersey Shore!

Phrases for Creatives, #22:
"I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter."

Offline woadwarrior

• Cellarman
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 10:14:04 am »
My wife loves the hobby and she's doing her best to learn everything about beer and try different ones.  She's helped me brew some days.  She's stirred in extract and loves adding the hops to the beer.  She's very supportive of it and says she can't wait till I can take it outside when we get a house (We're in an apartment now with an electric stove).  I told her this means some equipment upgrades and she just smiled. 

Does she have a single sister by any chance? ;)

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 12:59:35 pm »

I've noticed that the results of informal competitions of any kind are very unpredictable and useless.

I've noticed the same thing is often true of formal competitions too.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline jhwk

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2011, 07:38:12 am »

we just had a backyard brew off and to my amazement the beers that won were something close to the macro lagers and not anything worth actually trying

Funny, when we have a "Taster's Choice" competition at my HBC the IPA always wins...

some of my random thoughts:

1. Incredible beer means you're at the bottom of the Keg.

B. No one buys the brewer a beer.
Life Member - Yeah, and I am still waiting on that $600 t-shirt...

Offline Will's Swill

• Brewer
  • Secretly likes wine...
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2011, 09:50:20 am »
My wife finally found her gateway beer.  Actually it was pear cider.  Our local beer hut stopped carrying the only wine they had that was decent so she was forced to try something on tap - the cider.  From there she has discovered wits and hefeweizens.  Now *she* suggests going to brewpubs.   :)  But she put a hurtin' on my pumpkin weizen.  :(  Just have to make more  :) :) :)

Even before her beer conversion, she was hip to the coolness of the beer crowd and liked hanging with them.  There's a YouTube video out there with Sam Calagione talking with Ken Grossman where Sam says that he likes the brewing community because it is 98% a$$hole free.  Maybe the clip is from Beer Wars?  Anyway, I can't agree more.
Is that a counter-pressure bottle filler in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2011, 11:42:28 am »

I've noticed the same thing is often true of formal competitions too.

I can see the formal competitions with truly accredited beer judges, but informal stuff tends to just go to the hoppiest IPA or the closer beers to BMC.  So, I have decided not to enter anything until I feel I have enough to justify giving a bunch of it away to strangers.  For now, my friends are all the approval and affirmation I need to keep brewing and learning.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"