Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mystery Box?????  (Read 4473 times)

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Mystery Box?????
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2011, 06:33:03 pm »
No.... the Suzuki method of learning the violin, or cello for that matter, is where you learn ONE tune.... (twinkle twinkle little star) and you play it FIFTY THOUSAND TIMES..... UNTIL YOU GET IT RIGHT.... with variations, and rhythm  changes. With lots of fellow students...

My son played TTLS in Carnegie Hall, with 1259 other violins...... I listened to TTLS a lot.....WAAAAAY too much. But he had fun, and he was proud. So in the end that's what matters.

So, it was a metaphor. I am brewing the same beer over and over for two reasons. 1: I like it, a lot. 2: I want to learn the effects of subtle changes in process and ingredients, all else remaining the same.

I brew other beers too, but this is the main training event.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 06:35:26 pm by oscarvan »
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2011, 06:51:21 pm »
Ah, just havin' fun. It's why we're here. The methodology is sound...
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
  • www.onbeer.blogspot.com
    • On Beer
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2011, 10:39:42 pm »
+1 on Suzuki methods applied to brewing and brewing....and then to drinking, and drinking, and drinking.

I am told it aids with brain development....and makes me better looking.
You wouldn't believe the things I've seen...

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2011, 10:42:54 pm »
beer goggles are a well proven technology!
Brew on

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2011, 10:50:22 pm »
So, it was a metaphor. I am brewing the same beer over and over for two reasons. 1: I like it, a lot. 2: I want to learn the effects of subtle changes in process and ingredients, all else remaining the same.

I'm doing something very similar except I'm switching hops out. Oscar have you noticed any variation- especially since your transition to AG?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2011, 01:47:18 am »
When you do the same thing over and over you begin to notice the small stuff that you miss when you change everything each time.  I brewed my all-grain Munich Helles recipe a gozillion times in a row early on in my brewing.  That's when I was able to figure out when starch conversion was complete just by the consistancy of the mash.  It would have taken a lot longer to figure that out if I had brewed a different recipe each time. 

(I prefer to call it the Harley Davidson Method though)   ;)
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2011, 05:19:21 am »

I'm doing something very similar except I'm switching hops out. Oscar have you noticed any variation- especially since your transition to AG?

Yes I have noticed variation. But the process has not stabilized yet. I'm all over the road. (Temps, volumes, trub separation) First goal is to do it exactly the same every time. Then start making small changes. Today or tomorrow I'll be doing the fourth AG batch.
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....