Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cold crash after dry hopping and before keging?  (Read 5826 times)

Offline mlager

• Cellarman
    • CactiBrew
Cold crash after dry hopping and before keging?
« on: February 10, 2011, 06:14:16 pm »
I'll be dry hoping my beer for a week, is it recommended to cold crash prior to racking into keg, or are there negative affects to cold crashing, I.e. Aroma loss?

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Cold crash after dry hopping and before keging?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 12:41:12 am »
I tend to crash dry-hopped beers to drop some particles out before kegging.  I don't see why it would lose aroma by doing that, but I've never tested it either.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 06:33:29 am »
My SOP is to cold crash in the primary then keg and dry hop. I get really good aroma with cold dry hopping. It may take a little longer to extract the hop oils but it will happen in due time.

I leave my dry hops in the keg for at least two weeks and sometimes for the duration of the keg.
Ron Price

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 07:28:16 am »
i can't see it being a problem at all, but I would dryhop a little longer if I were you  ;D
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline cheba420

• Brewer
  • Can I get a beer up in here?
    • The Beer Research Institute
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 04:13:30 pm »
Just listened to an old episode of Brew Strong on the drive yesterday regarding dry hoping and they were saying the opposite. They indicated that shorter contact time is ideal. 5-7 days. I'm sure it depends on the beer being made but they said the longer the hops are in contact the more likely you are to pull the vegetal flavors along with the hop oils and aroma.

I've let a couple of my dry hoped beers go longer and have definitely noticed the vegetal flavors pop up. Anyone else? I think I'd rather go with higher alpha hops or an increased amount of low alpha hops for a shorter contact time than a small or moderate amount of low alpha with longer time.
Matt
Mesa, AZ.

On Tap: Vanilla Porter, Belgian Blonde, Saison, Black IPA, Punkin Porter
Primary: Pale 31 Clone, Raspberry Cider
Secondary: Vanilla Porter
Conditioning: Brett IPA
Bottles:Mosaic Wheat
On Deck: Flanders Red, Berliner weisse, Punkin Saison, Saison Brett

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 05:41:06 pm »
Just listened to an old episode of Brew Strong on the drive yesterday regarding dry hoping and they were saying the opposite. They indicated that shorter contact time is ideal. 5-7 days. I'm sure it depends on the beer being made but they said the longer the hops are in contact the more likely you are to pull the vegetal flavors along with the hop oils and aroma.

I've let a couple of my dry hoped beers go longer and have definitely noticed the vegetal flavors pop up. 

Gone a little over three weeks with no ill effects.  I do use pellets though so maybe that makes a difference?
Joe

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 06:53:57 pm »
I leave my hops in the keg till it's done.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 12:25:39 am »
I've let a couple of my dry hoped beers go longer and have definitely noticed the vegetal flavors pop up. Anyone else? I think I'd rather go with higher alpha hops or an increased amount of low alpha hops for a shorter contact time than a small or moderate amount of low alpha with longer time.
The alpha content doesn't really come in to play when dry hopping, it's the water/alcohol soluble oils that don't need to be isomerized that do.  But I tend to agree that shorter dry hopping is better, at least for my palate.  14 days is my upper limit, but some go for 3 or 7.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Lynux

• Cellarman
  • Beer geek and hop head
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 03:51:38 pm »
IME dry hopping cold minimizes the vegetal/grassy flavors people associate with a longer dry hop.  I'm with Blatz, the hops don't come out until the keg is kicked.  The hop aroma stays with the beer until it's gone.
A good brew will quench the parched soul