Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dry hopping...  (Read 6838 times)

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
Re: Dry hopping...
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2011, 06:51:33 pm »
When I dry hop, I'm thinking about putting a stainless steel sanitized bolt in the bag with the hops so it doesn't just float on top, and I'd tie a string to it so it sat somewhere in the middle of the liquid suspended. The stainless steel bolt should not cause any off flavors right?

The stainless shouldn't cause any off flavors.  Lots of folks talk about using glass marbles too - no off flavors there either.
Joe

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2011, 08:53:05 pm »
When I dry hop, I'm thinking about putting a stainless steel sanitized bolt in the bag with the hops so it doesn't just float on top, and I'd tie a string to it so it sat somewhere in the middle of the liquid suspended. The stainless steel bolt should not cause any off flavors right?
I often dry hop with SS in the hop bag - all in a SS corny keg!
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline etbrew

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2011, 01:08:29 pm »
I used some bolts in my last IPA to weigh down the hop bag,  It worked well but I needed a little more weight to keep it submerged.  I like the marble idea...

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2011, 02:36:58 pm »
I've said it before, I'll say it again.  I don't weight hop bags and dry hopping doesn't seem to suffer for it.  I think you guys are doing too much work!  :)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2011, 03:01:12 pm »
I've said it before, I'll say it again.  I don't weight hop bags and dry hopping doesn't seem to suffer for it.  I think you guys are doing too much work!  :)

Me too, Denny. :D

Everybody has a yard full of rocks. A clean and sterile (ie, boiled) rock is just as inert as ss bolts or anything else. Save a trip to the hardware store.

Occam's Razor.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline etbrew

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2011, 02:09:41 pm »
Denny, do you use whole hops or pellets for dry hopping? 

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2011, 02:20:51 pm »
Denny, do you use whole hops or pellets for dry hopping? 

Usually whole, because most of the dry hopping I do is Am. styles and I tend to use whole hops for those.  But it's not a hard and fast rule...it just depends on which form the hops I want to use are in and which is in the best shape.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Kit B

• Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2011, 02:59:18 pm »
I dry hop, frequently.
I never use a bag.
I will typically either dry hop in primary, after most fermentation has ended...Or the in a secondary, when I rack.
Normally, the hops will fall to the bottom, so I don't need the bag to keep them from going into the keg.

Offline etbrew

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2011, 04:49:36 pm »
Normally, the hops will fall to the bottom, so I don't need the bag to keep them from going into the keg.

Do you use pellets?  I've never had whole hops fall to the bottom.  They just float.  Pellets on the other hand sink to the bottom.

Usually whole, because most of the dry hopping I do is Am. styles and I tend to use whole hops for those.  But it's not a hard and fast rule...it just depends on which form the hops I want to use are in and which is in the best shape.

In your experience do you see a difference in aroma between pellets and whole hops?   

Offline Kit B

• Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2011, 09:33:57 am »
Yes, I normally use pellets.
Sorry...I should have clarified that.

For whole hops, you can use a stainless steel scrubby (or fine mesh), at the bottom of your racking cane.
They won't end up in your keg/bottles.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 09:41:13 am by Kit B »

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2011, 10:49:28 am »

In your experience do you see a difference in aroma between pellets and whole hops?   

The only difference comes from the quality of the hops, not the form they're in.  Good pellets are better than not so good whole, and vice versa.

www.dennybrew.com