Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New Brewers... and boy, do we have questions  (Read 8463 times)

Offline ethanjhall

• 1st Kit
  • Hustle Paintball Factory
    • Hustle Paintball
Re: New Brewers... and boy, do we have questions
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2011, 08:54:14 pm »
(although a quick forum search will demonstrate that the latter is not usually necessary and is even becoming a somewhat disfavored practice).

I've been gathering that... :)

Thanks to everyone for the answers.

Oscarvan - you said "this is what I use..." and then nothing. Am I missing something?

Idophor - why is that preferred over StarSan? Cheaper? Faster? Better? Or, what else do people use?

Refractometers - I love technology. And getting a big sample, cooling it, etc to use the hydrometer. Pain in the ass. A refracto seems way cool.
http://morebeer.com/view_product/18739/ - This is what we're talking about, right? There aren't "crappy cheap ones" and "nice ones" really, are there?

Also - any good brewing podcasts that people can recommend? It's nice to learn while driving :)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 09:00:10 pm by ethanjhall »
Otherwise known as Face.

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2011, 09:11:58 pm »
Oscarvan - you said "this is what I use..." and then nothing. Am I missing something?

Yes, the word "this" is a link (not in this post, in the previous one).

Which leads to a case in point. On the "suggestions for the forum" forum I have asked if the color/contrast of hot links can be improved.....
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline ethanjhall

• 1st Kit
    • Hustle Paintball
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2011, 09:13:35 pm »
Awesome :) I would second the "greater contrast in links" request :)

Why do you use that instead of starsan?
Otherwise known as Face.

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2011, 09:15:47 pm »

Well, that's what the dude in the LHBS shoved in my hands when I first started, and I'm happy using it...... no better reason.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2011, 09:36:44 pm »

Well, that's what the dude in the LHBS shoved in my hands when I first started, and I'm happy using it...... no better reason.

I have both. Iodophor is a quick-use disposable type that is good for soaking things. It's efficacy is short-lived, unlike Starsan which will last nearly forever if treated properly.

My experience is that I had problems when using Iodophor on my fermenters.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2011, 05:48:32 am »

What kind of problems?

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2011, 06:42:53 am »
Also, as a meta-observation to OP, I once again highly recommend the Basic Brewing DVD series. They're reasonably-priced and well-made, and a picture is worth a thousand words. Their (free) podcasts are great, too. James Spencer understands how to produce radio shows and gets right to the point in a friendly, humorous, but always "safe for work" manner.

Their new DVD for new brewers:

http://basicbrewingshop.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=26
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2011, 07:20:57 am »
Refractometers - I love technology. And getting a big sample, cooling it, etc to use the hydrometer. Pain in the ass. A refracto seems way cool.
http://morebeer.com/view_product/18739/ - This is what we're talking about, right? There aren't "crappy cheap ones" and "nice ones" really, are there?

One thing to know about refractometers is that they're not accurate once alcohol is present.  Measuring hot wort as you progress through the various stages is fine but, once you get things fermenting, you'll need to use correction tables to manually adjust your refractometer readings to account for the alcohol.
Joe

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2011, 09:07:26 am »

What kind of problems?

In my case, I developed a persistent low level infection that iodophor couldn't knock out.  I decided to try StarSan due to the lo pH.  It knocked out the infection and I've stuck with StarSan ever since, although I still use iodophor sometimes. 
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2011, 11:24:29 am »

What kind of problems?

In my case, I developed a persistent low level infection that iodophor couldn't knock out.  I decided to try StarSan due to the lo pH.  It knocked out the infection and I've stuck with StarSan ever since, although I still use iodophor sometimes. 

Ditto. Problem disappeared when I went back to Starsan. Sorry baby I shouldn't have left ya!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline ethanjhall

• 1st Kit
    • Hustle Paintball
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2011, 09:27:34 pm »
In my case, I developed a persistent low level infection that iodophor couldn't knock out.  I decided to try StarSan due to the lo pH.  It knocked out the infection and I've stuck with StarSan ever since, although I still use iodophor sometimes.  

Why do you still use it? Cheaper?

Also, (and I know this has been asked many times, but I'm curious about YOUR opinions for good resources) I'd like to brew an IPA - where can I find some good recipes?

We've got LME on the way, as well as some fun hops, but don't really know how to pick yeast, and REALLY don't know how to pick out grains. ???
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 09:29:43 pm by ethanjhall »
Otherwise known as Face.