Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: White House Homebrew  (Read 16884 times)

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
Re: White House Homebrew
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2011, 11:50:52 am »
What came to mind was a guy dressed up, but wearing red Converse sneakers.  

I wish you luck.

Thanks, Jeff!  Hadn't thought about wearing the red Chuck Taylors, but now that you mention it....:)

throw in those "puka shell and turquoise necklaces, turquoise rings, scrimshaw bracelets inset with coral" and you should be golden.
Joe

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2011, 12:02:50 pm »
Looking at GW's recipe I can't find the definition for a "siffer". How big is a "large siffer"? And as a WAG was the molasses the same as we know today? It could have been much thinner.

As a rough estimate I figured 12 pounds of molasses per gallon. In a 30 gallon batch that's an approximate 1.046 without the grain. Adding 30 pounds of grain results in a 1.073 and an ABV of 7.1%. To reach 11% the grain bill has to be about 80#.

Further more, this is a small beer? I think siffer is probably not that large and probably only holds a few pounds of grain.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2011, 12:04:15 pm »
Euge,

back in the day 1.070's would have been a standard gravity. Remember that beers didn't ferment as completely and they wanted them to keep longer - so stronger.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2011, 12:15:00 pm »
I wonder if they will release the recipe?  I would be curious to see what this brew really was

Well, I jsut emailed the White House to see if they would give me the recipe.  If enough of us do that, they are bound to do so.  Whoever gets it first, please post on this thread.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2011, 12:46:06 pm »
I wonder if they will release the recipe?  I would be curious to see what this brew really was

Well, I jsut emailed the White House to see if they would give me the recipe.  If enough of us do that, they are bound to do so.  Whoever gets it first, please post on this thread.
I think the brewer should write an article for Zymurgy and include the recipe . . . I'll email Jill to that effect. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2011, 12:47:40 pm »
GREAT idea, Tom!  I'd bet it's an extract recipe.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2011, 12:49:06 pm »
It might be, but that's fine.  The article says the Obama's paid for the equipment . . . I want to know what the setup is like too!  And the fermentation equipment . . . and how about some tasting notes :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2011, 12:56:31 pm »
It might be, but that's fine.  The article says the Obama's paid for the equipment . . . I want to know what the setup is like too!  And the fermentation equipment . . . and how about some tasting notes :)

Yep, didn't mean to imply that it wasn't fine.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2011, 12:58:35 pm »

Yep, didn't mean to imply that it wasn't fine.
I didn't mean to imply that you implied it wasn't fine ;D
Tom Schmidlin

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2011, 02:04:25 pm »
Thur. I testify before a state senate committee about getting our homebrew laws changed.  You can bet I'm gonna mention this!

Will this be televised on C-SPAN?

I think C-SPAN focuses on Fed-level government content mostly:

C-SPAN - an abbreviation of Cable-Satellite Public Affairs Network, is an American cable television network owned and operated by the cable industry. It airs non-stop coverage of government proceedings and public affairs programming. C-SPAN does not accept outside advertising; the only commercials aired are for its own programming and products.

C-SPAN first went on the air on March 19, 1979, broadcasting a speech by then-congressman Al Gore. C-SPAN2, a spin-off network, covers all live sessions of the U.S. Senate and went on the air on June 2, 1986, with the original channel then focusing on the House. The latest spin-off, C-SPAN3, began broadcasting on January 22, 2001, and shows other government-related live events along with historical programming from C-SPAN's archives.

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline tygo

• Sterling, VA
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2011, 03:13:30 pm »
Guess I needed a winky emoticon there.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline Steve

• Assistant Brewer
  • Been there, done that. And now I've returned
    • Kettle and Cask Beer Blog
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2011, 03:50:44 pm »
I emailed Gary G about this and he said that Jill Reading is preparing a story for Zymurgy.

I suggested to Gary that he should investigate coordinating with the White House to have a homebrew event in the Garden, on the South Lawn or in the White House kitchens, so AHA members could get together with the White House Assistant Chef who brewed the beer for the President.  Maybe the event could be in the "Steam Pipe Distribution Trunk Room" in the basement - remembering West Wing.

I wanted to invite the President and his Assistant Chef myself, but I have no influence with the White House, nor should I invite myself.  That's rude! I also don't think the guards would allow me to bring my brewing equipment on the White House tour.
Steve

"Because beer is food: in cooking, at the table and by the glass. " Lucy Saunders

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2011, 10:52:58 am »
Thats cool, wonder if Barrack helped make the brew?   8)

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2011, 11:26:02 am »
Thats cool, wonder if Barrack helped make the brew?   8)

While that would be cool, I'd hope that he had more important things to do.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2011, 11:29:25 am »
One can only imagine.

The one thing that always strikes me about that job is the stress.

Look at the aging difference on these guys:

http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2010/01/president_obamas_gray_hair_agi.html
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison