Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Splitting a batch to 2 kegs  (Read 1427 times)

Offline rbowers

• Assistant Brewer
Splitting a batch to 2 kegs
« on: August 18, 2011, 02:16:09 pm »
Is there a way to split a 5 gallon batch between 2 5-gallon kegs and still carbonate effectively?  I was hoping to brew a black IPA and age half of it on some oak.  I assume force carbonation is going to be the only way to go?  Has anyone done this? 

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
Re: Splitting a batch to 2 kegs
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 02:29:29 pm »
Never done it but I don't know why you can't. It'll just take a little more CO2 to purge the huge head space. Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 08:44:47 am »
I've done this a few times. Its great for experimenting with oak, dry hops, fruit, coffee, etc.

Just make sure you purge w/ 5-10 psi two or three times before racking (and then dont invert the keg in between purging and racking).

I would start with about 1/4 of the oak you planned to use for 5 gallons. TASTE OFTEN.

Also, you dont want to carbonate while its on oak. Adjusting carbonation or off-gasing before opening the keg will carry off some of that oaky aroma. Blanket with 2 psi CO2 and then unhook the CO2 valve after racking and adding oak.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 12:18:35 pm »
With 2.5 gallons in a five gallon keg it ought to carbonate very quickly if you just fill it to about 40psi while chilled.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis