Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: More yeast flavor in beer?  (Read 1597 times)

Offline benamcg

• Cellarman
More yeast flavor in beer?
« on: February 08, 2011, 07:43:04 pm »
I got knocked in a competition recently that stated that I didnt have enough yeast character in a Wit.  In an effort to make better beers (or beers closer to style), how would one recommend getting more yeast flavor in the beer?  I am not filtering yeast.  Would you inoculate bottles? Seems a bit much to me.....

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Re: More yeast flavor in beer?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 08:09:45 pm »
What yeast were you using?  What temps and how long did you ferment and/or condition it for?
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline benamcg

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 08:41:38 pm »
I was using the White Labs Witbier strain.  Conditioned for 4 weeks in glass carboys.  At the time of bottling, the beer was probably in a keg for another 2 weeks (6 weeks total).

jaybeerman

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 09:40:51 pm »
Did you use WLP400 or 410 and at what temps?  The judges were probably looking for these characteristics; some phenolics, some tartness, some spiceiness.  The guidelines state - "Ale yeast prone to the production of mild, spicy flavors is very characteristic. In some instances a very limited lactic fermentation, or the actual addition of lactic acid, is done."  You might do some research on the Hermann mash (if you're an all grain brewer),  think about open fermentation, read up on fermentation and the production of phenols/esters/etc.  Post your recipe and your proceedures for more detailed help.  Cheers, j

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 10:20:38 am »
Wheat beers are typically better "fresh".  So you only need to have them in the primary for about 10 to 14 days, then keg them or bottle them.  I think the yeast character you're after is getting lost with the extra aging time you're giving them.
Jesse