Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Crystal hops  (Read 5955 times)

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
Crystal hops
« on: February 05, 2011, 09:37:16 am »
I was wondering how folks used these hops.

Might they be an acceptable alternative to Mt Hood or maybe Hallertauer?
Anyone FWH with them?  Use only late?
Really good when combined with  ______ and ______?

Thanks in advance for the knowledge.

Cheers.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Crystal hops
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 09:41:21 am »
I have never used them, but this one has an application.
http://www.sierranevada.com/beers/torpedo.html
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 10:41:36 am »
Rogue's Brutal IPA (formerly known as Brutal Bitter) uses all crystal.  It's a great beer.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 10:53:05 am »
I use a lot of crystal hops. I like them a lot. They are kinda like a slightly lemony version of Hallertauer hops. I also used them once in a all FWH kolsch and I thought it was fantastic. It was easily one of the best kolsches I ever made.

I did not know that Rogue used them in Brutal Bitter. I might have to see if I can find a fresh bottle of that. I have never tried them higher than 30 BUs.

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 11:12:33 am »
I bought a pound of crystal hops last fall and have been using them as a sub for hallertau (mostly flavor/aroma additions) in most of my German beers.  They are great in their own right, but I think I actually prefer hallertau, which I find to be slightly spicier. 
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

jaybeerman

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 12:44:11 pm »
What majorvices said and I also like them in comibination with the citrus type hop.  I've seen them work quite well with centennial and cascade used at high levels. 

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 02:50:07 pm »
What majorvices said and I also like them in comibination with the citrus type hop.  I've seen them work quite well with centennial and cascade used at high levels. 

I have thought they would work well with "C" hops as well, but haven't tried them yet. Looking forward to it, though!

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 05:46:25 am »
Thanks for the info.  Interesting about Brutal Bitter. 
I guess a single hop brew might be the best place to start.

I've seen them work quite well with centennial and cascade used at high levels. 

Just wondering what kind of ratios you have used.  I was thinking they might get lost or overwhelmed unless you use quite a bit.

Offline Malticulous

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 08:07:14 am »
I been using them in place of Mt. Hood and Vanguard in some of my recipes and not noticed much difference.

After reading this thread I tried them in a APA yesterday as a FWH and a 1 minute addition. The wort tastes very good.
http://hopville.com/recipe/475829/home-brew/back-porch

jaybeerman

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011, 03:37:18 pm »
Just wondering what kind of ratios you have used.  I was thinking they might get lost or overwhelmed unless you use quite a bit.

For lighter/subtle beer styles I've gone with cascade type hops for FWH and crystal as a late addition flavor/aroma hop.  This results in a hint of the citrus behind the spice and flower of both hops.  For IPAs I've used centennial for FWH & bittering, crystal for 15 min addition, and cascade/centennial for whirlpool addition and dry hopping.  Use a heavy hand with the crystal hops; for my tastes that means a 1.25-1.5 ounce addition at 10-15 minutes, your tastes may differ.

My personal thought is that crystal hops and some of the other subtle hops can be used like amalgamating spices in food.  You can't always specifically identify the amalgamating spice in the final food dish but IT'S THERE and the dish just wouldn't be the same without it.  Don't conclude that everything is a wasted addition if you can't specifically identify it in the final product.  Of course, I often test that theory by brewing a batch without the subtle hops.  Cheers, j

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2011, 08:57:27 pm »
Thanks very much for your thoughts, they are really helpful.

I especially like your ideas on the possible amalgamating properties of subtle hops....
and this:
Don't conclude that everything is a wasted addition if you can't specifically identify it in the final product.

Guess I have some trials ahead.

8) Cheers.

Offline SiameseMoose

• Assistant Brewer
  • Cincinnati, OH
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 07:19:57 am »
I've used Crystal in a lot of different beers. The lightest beer I use them in is a "Cincinnati Common" beer, basically a CAP with an ale yeast. (Note: the Christian Moerlein Brewery (Cincinnati) has records that show this beer was being made as early as the 1850's, before lager yeast came to the area.) I also use them in one of my IPA recipes. I'm aware of at least four craft brewers or brewpubs that use them in IPA's or even DIPA's. They also work really well in some Belgian styles. I've used them in Belgian pale and Blonds, and will probably try them in my Tripel next time.

Offline markaberrant

• Brewer
  • Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
    • ALES Club
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2011, 07:22:21 pm »
I think they are a really interesting substitute for noble hops.  Try making a pils with them, good stuff!