Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: British Ordinary Bitter critique & suggestions  (Read 13388 times)

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: British Ordinary Bitter critique & suggestions
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2016, 09:01:46 am »
Concerning crystal malt in bitters, a recent attempt at a pale mild yielded a beer that fit neatly in the "special bitter" range. No crystal malt was used, but the beer did have a heavy percentage of invert no. 3 in the grist. The resulting beer had a subtle hard caramel candy flavor, without any of the other crystal malt flavors. The beer was excellent, I plan on using invert/no crystal malt in more bitters this summer.

This beer was used in the beer swap, here's brewinhard's review:
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=26129.msg345548#msg345548

Now you've peaked my interest. Do you or anyone else have a decent protocol/recipe for making invert #3 at home? I thought I saw a recipe a while back but I can't find it at the moment.

Ron Pattinson's blog (Shut Up About Barclay Perkins) is a typical source for these recipes.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2016, 10:35:44 am »
Concerning crystal malt in bitters, a recent attempt at a pale mild yielded a beer that fit neatly in the "special bitter" range. No crystal malt was used, but the beer did have a heavy percentage of invert no. 3 in the grist. The resulting beer had a subtle hard caramel candy flavor, without any of the other crystal malt flavors. The beer was excellent, I plan on using invert/no crystal malt in more bitters this summer.

This beer was used in the beer swap, here's brewinhard's review:
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=26129.msg345548#msg345548

Now you've peaked my interest. Do you or anyone else have a decent protocol/recipe for making invert #3 at home? I thought I saw a recipe a while back but I can't find it at the moment.

Ron Pattinson's blog (Shut Up About Barclay Perkins) is a typical source for these recipes.
I think Ron uses this for a reference.
http://www.unholymess.com/blog/beer-brewing-info/making-brewers-invert/comment-page-1

For Candi Syrup
http://ryanbrews.blogspot.com/2012/02/candy-syrup-right-way-hint-weve-been.html
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2016, 10:52:39 am »
This is what started it all:

http://barclayperkins.blogspot.nl/2014/01/lets-brew-wednesday-1945-tetleys-mild.html

My mild-turned-bitter started as an attempt to brew this beer with American ingredients, less the caramel color. The blog post links to unholymess's invert recipe:

http://www.unholymess.com/blog/beer-brewing-info/making-brewers-invert

I used the "dilution method." I mixed some high-quality blackstrap molasses (I think I used plantation) with Lyle's Golden syrup. (Which is invert No. 1.) I mixed it to invert no. 3 levels, to try and darken the resulting beer.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline Ale Farmer

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2016, 07:17:41 pm »
Great discussion about bitters--learning a lot. One idea I got form Graham Wheeler's British Real Ale (3rd edition) is to use Bramling Cross in the hop mix. It adds a nice blackberry-like flavor that worked well with the yeast I used--WLP 002.
George

Brew and grow...

Bottled: Belgian May Ale, APA, Wit, Pilsner, Rye Pale Ale, Pale Irish Ale, Dark Mild, Brown Porter, English Pale Ale, Amber Ale

Fermenting:

Next Brews: English Pale Ale, Spruce Porter, Brown Ale

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2016, 08:48:38 pm »
Yep, grew up in the north of England but currently live in London. I'm certainly no expert at brewing English styles but I've drunk lots of them over the years. London beers not the best. I think they're overrated outside the UK because the "London" brand gives them undeserved cachet.

Best bitters I've had have mostly come from Yorkshire/NE Midlands.

Yorkshire beers are great. I remember the first time I had Timothy Taylor Landlord. Have tried to recreate it with Wyeast W. yorkshire yeast but wasn't quite like the real thing.
After trying Boltmaker for the first time I developed the opinion that some of the flavor I was attributing to the yeast in Landlord is likely coming from the hops instead. Boltmaker has a lot less of the fruity character that I took to be yeast esters in LL.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2016, 01:05:34 am »
Great discussion about bitters--learning a lot. One idea I got form Graham Wheeler's British Real Ale (3rd edition) is to use Bramling Cross in the hop mix. It adds a nice blackberry-like flavor that worked well with the yeast I used--WLP 002.
Bramling Cross is one of my favourite hops to use in porters.
Dom

Currently drinking - Amarillo saison
Currently fermenting - Pale ale 1 - 2017

Offline Ale Farmer

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2016, 07:52:12 pm »
Bramling Cross is one of my favourite hops to use in porters.
Great idea--I'll think I'll try it next fall during porter season. I mostly use Northern Brewer and EKG, but adding Bramling Cross instead of EKG sounds like a nice change.
George

Brew and grow...

Bottled: Belgian May Ale, APA, Wit, Pilsner, Rye Pale Ale, Pale Irish Ale, Dark Mild, Brown Porter, English Pale Ale, Amber Ale

Fermenting:

Next Brews: English Pale Ale, Spruce Porter, Brown Ale

Offline 2brew559

• Brewer
« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2016, 01:03:02 pm »
Gravity Readings on Sunday May 22, 2016

Amber slightly more orangey color  and Bitter is darker :) Both tasted awesome although This is my 1st Bitter so I know the final test will be once it's kegged and tapped!
Amber:

Bitter:

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

JUST A REGULAR GUY WHO BREWS!
Aplaudir Amigos Y Amigas  :)

Offline 2brew559

• Brewer
« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2016, 04:14:15 pm »
Gravity Readings on Sunday May 22, 2016

Amber slightly more orangey color  and Bitter is darker :) Both tasted awesome although This is my 1st Bitter so I know the final test will be once it's kegged and tapped!
Amber:

Bitter:

I pulled a small sample after 2 days on Co2

Wow..... 

Firestone DBA is in left and the sample is the small glass ..color..spot on!

Taste is like 99.9% spot on....

Can't wait till this Friday..will have been on gas for a few more days!

My 1st bitter recipe Formulation...I bet this recipe would kick butt on Denny's Fav..50!

Thanks everyone!

« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 04:17:59 pm by 2brew559 »
JUST A REGULAR GUY WHO BREWS!
Aplaudir Amigos Y Amigas  :)

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2022, 01:37:01 pm »
So this was a pretty interesting thread...

I'm going to be brewing an Ordinary Bitter in the coming weeks and it occurred to me that I'm not really sure what it is I'm supposed to be after here.  I've never had the pleasure to saddle up next to Andy Capp and enjoy a Bitter in situ, so to speak.  And after reading this thread, I'm probably more confused than I was before. I want to brew a style that I can't find all that often, and on the rare occasion when I do find it, I honestly have no idea if what I'm drinking is a decent example of an Ordinary Bitter.  My guess is, probably not.

Forget the BJCP for a second, what distinguishes an Ordinary Bitter to you?

My thoughts are:
Session strength
Low Carbonation
Notable malt presence, but not sweet
A firm bitterness
Low hop aroma and of English variety
Characterful English yeast
Served not cold, but cold-ish
5-10 SRM

I realize it's all relative, but is that an Ordinary Bitter?

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2022, 03:30:11 pm »

I'm going to be brewing an Ordinary Bitter in the coming weeks and it occurred to me that I'm not really sure what it is I'm supposed to be after here.  I've never had the pleasure to saddle up next to Andy Capp and enjoy a Bitter in situ, so to speak.  And after reading this thread, I'm probably more confused than I was before. I want to brew a style that I can't find all that often, and on the rare occasion when I do find it, I honestly have no idea if what I'm drinking is a decent example of an Ordinary Bitter.  My guess is, probably not.

My thoughts are:
Session strength
Low Carbonation
A firm bitterness
5-10 SRM

Yes, I think you have it captured, but then serve it from cask by beer engine with a sparkler.  Cheers!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2022, 04:21:40 pm »

My thoughts are:
Session strength
Low Carbonation
A firm bitterness
5-10 SRM

Yes, I think you have it captured, but then serve it from cask by beer engine with a sparkler.  Cheers!

Yeah…Well…about that… ;D

Is it impossible to force carb this style?  I could bottle this, but I know already that I won’t.  Anyone have any success/tips on kegging a Bitter?