Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: slow conditioning?  (Read 4339 times)

Offline madscientist

• Brewer
slow conditioning?
« on: February 09, 2011, 10:13:22 am »
So i've been bottle conditioning a 2.5 gallon batch for 2 weeks now.  I cracked one open and it was carbonated, but not much.  Based on my internet searches I used about 2.1-2.5 oz of priming sugar (not table sugar).  I didn't really measure the amount of water to make the priming solution, as I read that it's the amount of sugar that's critical.  It's been pretty cold in the closet where I keep all my beer supplies, probably in the mid 50s.  So i'm wondering if that would cause it to carbonate slower, or I didn't use enough sugar.  OG was 1.048 and FG was around 1.013ish. 
Homebrewed since 2010

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
Re: slow conditioning?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 10:15:41 am »
Lower temps will slow down fermentation.  If you can, find a more temp-stable area, and let it condition at the regular temp.  Or just wait it out a little longer, it will probably come out fine.  I had a brew that after a month had very little carbonation to it, but after 3 months, came out fine.  (Belgian strong dark ale)   To be sure, tho, it did need a longer conditioning time for the flavor.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 10:18:17 am by theantipunk »
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 10:18:12 am »
Yeah, you want the temp to be around 70 to carbonate.  Once carbonated, you can put them in an area with those temps to "condition" them.  So if you can find an area in the upper 60s or low 70s, you'd be in good shape.
Jesse

Offline madscientist

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 10:24:44 am »
Yeah, you want the temp to be around 70 to carbonate.  Once carbonated, you can put them in an area with those temps to "condition" them.  So if you can find an area in the upper 60s or low 70s, you'd be in good shape.

Ok cool.  I will move the beer out of the closet to where it is warmer and let it sit for another week or so and I'll try one then. 
Homebrewed since 2010

Offline madscientist

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 11:06:17 am »
Update:  The warmer temperatures have been helping.  Cracked a bottle open last night to check the progress.  It is still on the low end in my opinion, but there was a thin head this time.  A few more days and it should be right where I want it.... Even if it's not it still tastes great.
Homebrewed since 2010

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 12:10:03 pm »
Temps that low may have put your yeast to sleep. Warm 'em up, tip each bottle upside down and swirl the yeast back in suspension, then right side up and wait a week or two.
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 10:21:16 am »
It seems like 2.5 oz of priming sugar is a little low too. not sure what style and how much carbonation you were after though. I often use around 4 oz of table sugar and I don't think the difference between corn and cane is that great.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 12:21:55 pm »
It seems like 2.5 oz of priming sugar is a little low too. not sure what style and how much carbonation you were after though. I often use around 4 oz of table sugar and I don't think the difference between corn and cane is that great.

I typically use 3-4oz cane sugar. Just about the sweet-spot IMO.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline madscientist

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 07:00:13 am »

I was just shooting for a generic "light" ale.  If you want to get more specific, it was a low IBU pale ale.  1.048 OG 1.015ish FG.  I moved the beer to a warmer location (~68-70F) and let it sit for another week.  Just doing that helped significantly.  I had one last night.  Thin head, but decent amount of carbonation, and it tasted great.     

I think I may increase the priming sugar in the next batch.  I did a lot of google searching about priming sugar for small batches and came up with ~2.1 ounces.  I put in 2.5 for the hell of it.  Maybe that's some misinformation.  I thought I might have read that  there's a way to calculate how much priming sugar you want, but I'm really not sure what I would be shooting for?  Volumes of CO2?  Or is that something different?
Homebrewed since 2010

Offline ndcube

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 07:29:13 am »

It's a 2.5 gal batch.

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 07:30:35 am »

I typically use 3-4oz cane sugar. Just about the sweet-spot IMO.

That's for a five gallon batch though, right?  He stated that this is a 2.5 gallon batch.  I think 2.5 oz is plenty.

Edit: ndcube beat me to it.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline ndcube

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 07:36:28 am »

I was just shooting for a generic "light" ale.  If you want to get more specific, it was a low IBU pale ale.  1.048 OG 1.015ish FG.  I moved the beer to a warmer location (~68-70F) and let it sit for another week.  Just doing that helped significantly.  I had one last night.  Thin head, but decent amount of carbonation, and it tasted great.     

I think I may increase the priming sugar in the next batch.  I did a lot of google searching about priming sugar for small batches and came up with ~2.1 ounces.  I put in 2.5 for the hell of it.  Maybe that's some misinformation.  I thought I might have read that  there's a way to calculate how much priming sugar you want, but I'm really not sure what I would be shooting for?  Volumes of CO2?  Or is that something different?

Volumes of CO2 measure how much CO2 is dissolved in the beer.  The more vols the fizzier your beer will be.  I don't know of any off hand since I stopped bottling but there are calulators you can search for.  Diffferent styles are carbonated to different levels.

Be careful of using too much priming sugar.  I've used up to 7oz in a 5 gal batch for a Belgian before.  With 7 I had a couple bottles explode.  I don't use more then 6.5 now (although I haven't bottle conditioned in a year since I started kegging).

Also, The tempature of the beer being bottled plays a role in how much CO2 is already dissolved. The calculator I used (Beersmith)  took this into account.

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 08:34:37 am »
I don't know of any off hand since I stopped bottling but there are calulators you can search for.  Diffferent styles are carbonated to different levels.

Tastybrew has one of those online bottle priming calculators...

http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html
Joe

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2011, 08:54:54 am »

It's a 2.5 gal batch.

Ahh my bad. then yes 2.5 oz seems like plenty.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline madscientist

• Brewer
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2011, 09:00:54 am »

It's a 2.5 gal batch.

Ahh my bad. then yes 2.5 oz seems like plenty.

Ah ok.  And thank you for the tasty brew link, ndcube
Homebrewed since 2010