Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Galena Hops?  (Read 1805 times)

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
Galena Hops?
« on: February 09, 2011, 10:40:59 am »
How accurate is the description given by NB for these hops and how are they getting a "fruity flavor" if they're only using them for bittering?  I'm thinking of getting some to try but would rather hear some opinions on them first.   ;)

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
Re: Galena Hops?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 05:52:09 pm »
I've used them for bittering and I didn't detect any fruity flavors, but I thought they were very clean and let the flavor and aroma hops shine through.
Dan Chisholm

Offline markaberrant

• Brewer
  • Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
    • ALES Club
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 07:25:24 pm »
I've used them for bittering and I didn't detect any fruity flavors, but I thought they were very clean and let the flavor and aroma hops shine through.

Same here, been using them for bittering all my beers over the last year.

Online BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2020, 01:50:43 pm »
Dredging up an old thread here looking for some insight:  I’ve read descriptors for Galena all the way from peach, pear, citrus grapefruit, and black currant (catty). The warning is always use for bittering only. Don’t use late in the boil and don’t use too much. Well, that’s kinda all over the map...

So, what do you think: how late is “too late”. How much is “too much”?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2020, 02:59:46 pm »
It’s one of those hops that have gone by the wayside. I haven’t used it in years, but as I recall I didn’t care for the flavor that much and used it as a bittering hop. That was a while ago and just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Chisholm

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2020, 03:07:49 pm »
I grow galena and have always followed the advice to use them only in bettering. I find their aroma (the cones, not in beer) to be “generic hops”, maybe floral/herbal. They are very neutral and are good for bittering while allowing the late hops do their thing. I like making pale ales with them and the cascade I grow. I can’t speak to amounts as being homegrown I am pretty much guessing how much to use every year.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Northern_Brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • British - apparently some US company stole my name
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2020, 05:05:42 pm »
About a year ago I did a comparison brew between Galena, Bullion and Bramling Cross at ??5g/litre?? across 10min/whirlpool/dryhops - unfortunately I'm locked down away from my brewing notes but Galena was easily the least blackcurranty of the three. Nothing much sticks in my mind about it - I think there was maybe a bit of blackcurrant and citrus, but not enough of either to be interesting?

Apologies for not having more details to hand.

Online BrewBama

Galena Hops?
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2020, 05:02:44 pm »
No worries. Thx.  I am planning a Mandarina Bavaria Cream Ale for the upcoming dog daze and thought about Galena to bitter it with.  It was (is?) a very popular hop in American beers.  I have some Galaxy that I thought might be interesting to bitter with as well.

I grow galena and have always followed the advice to use them only in bettering. I find their aroma (the cones, not in beer) to be “generic hops”, maybe floral/herbal. They are very neutral and are good for bittering while allowing the late hops do their thing. I like making pale ales with them and the cascade I grow. I can’t speak to amounts as being homegrown I am pretty much guessing how much to use every year.

Thx.

The timing for ‘bittering’, ‘aroma’, ‘’flavor’ is a question in my mind. I know the classic is 60, 30, 15-0.

But what if a brewer does a 30 min boil? What about 20 min?  What if a brewer boils for 30 min then adds the bitter hop at 20 min?

The lines seem blurry to me.

I may just avoid the issue and go all Mandarina Bavaria.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 02:59:14 pm by BrewBama »