Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mecca grade malt  (Read 2816 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Mecca grade malt
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2020, 09:04:41 am »
I haven't brewed with it but I have had beers made with it and I think they make for quality beers.

There are several very good small malthouses continuing to pop up that are producing great malt products that are unique and more flavorful than what many of the larger houses produce. Here in Colorado we have a few and I have had nothing but good results with Root Shoot. Slightly more expensive than the larger houses but I am happy with the results and it is still cheaper to pay a little more for grain than buy commercially all the beer I drink.

Yeah, Root Shoot makes great malts.  Just ran across some I forgot I had and plan on using it soon.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2020, 09:28:40 am »
I haven't brewed with it but I have had beers made with it and I think they make for quality beers.

There are several very good small malthouses continuing to pop up that are producing great malt products that are unique and more flavorful than what many of the larger houses produce. Here in Colorado we have a few and I have had nothing but good results with Root Shoot. Slightly more expensive than the larger houses but I am happy with the results and it is still cheaper to pay a little more for grain than buy commercially all the beer I drink.

Yeah, Root Shoot makes great malts.  Just ran across some I forgot I had and plan on using it soon.
We had a group buy a few months back for Root Shoots. I bought a bag of Odyssey Pilsner and a bag of Genie Pale. Because it was a group buy I got the bags for just over $1/pound.

Odyssey Pilsner makes clean crisp beers. It’s hard to say there is a dominant malt flavor. It more gets out of the way.

Genie Pale has been good in a variety of beers. It’s a bit darker than typical pale malt at about 2.5L. It’s a nice cross between pale and pale ale malt. I have made some great beers with this one but they have all been hoppy ambers and bitters. Good flavors but I am not sure I can judge the base malt from those beers.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2020, 10:03:17 am »

We had a group buy a few months back for Root Shoots. I bought a bag of Odyssey Pilsner and a bag of Genie Pale. Because it was a group buy I got the bags for just over $1/pound.

Odyssey Pilsner makes clean crisp beers. It’s hard to say there is a dominant malt flavor. It more gets out of the way.

Genie Pale has been good in a variety of beers. It’s a bit darker than typical pale malt at about 2.5L. It’s a nice cross between pale and pale ale malt. I have made some great beers with this one but they have all been hoppy ambers and bitters. Good flavors but I am not sure I can judge the base malt from those beers.

I've got Genie pale and Vienna and Metcalfe pale.  It's 5L so it should be interesting.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2020, 02:33:13 pm »
Just posted on FB....

Join me for an Instagram #livestream #tour of Mecca Grade tomorrow night at 5:30 PM/PST (Thursday, April 2nd)! I’ll be your handsome, bearded #maltsherpa and hopefully be able to answer all your questions (even the wild ones). See you then! - Seth

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2020, 05:09:49 pm »
[quote author=Steve Ruch link=topic=34819.msg438530#msg438530 date=1585600850
On a completely different note, there is a small, tiny chance that I might, possibly, maybe, be moving to Madras later in the year.
[/quote]
Never mind.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline ravenwater

• Brewer
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2020, 04:06:23 pm »
Reverseapachemaster -  since you say you have some experience with products from some of the Colorado maltsters I'm wondering, have you brewed with anything from Proximity out of Monte Vista? I have access to their malts in New Mexico and have wondered if they're worthwhile. Would welcome your two cents worth if you've given them a taste.

Thanks, Shawn C.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 04:13:23 pm by ravenwater »
Shawn Crawford  -  Rio Rancho, NM.  
 BJCP, Worthogs Homebrew Club of New Mexico

Life is good. Beer makes it gooder.

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2020, 03:00:05 pm »
I love their malt but I can only get it from Northern Brewer and their shipping is expensive now.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2020, 03:20:11 pm »
Try Steinbart

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk