Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Homebrew Day Goody Bag  (Read 863 times)

Offline AstroJim

• 1st Kit
Homebrew Day Goody Bag
« on: May 03, 2020, 08:29:45 pm »
Via Blue Point Brewing attended virtual brew day yesterday. Got a goody bag from them with 4 types of hops: HBC 472, cascade, cashmere, and centennial. Two bags of specialty grains: Munich malt and honey malt. Any thoughts on recipes that maximize the goodies?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 08:31:27 pm by AstroJim »

Offline ravenwater

• Brewer
Re: Homebrew Day Goody Bag
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 03:33:45 pm »
Sounds like a nice haul! If it was me I'd probably be looking at some kind of take on an American pale or IPA, where I wouldn't be afraid of using a goodly portion of Munich in the grist with a bit of honey malt for richness. I've found honey malt to be an "a little goes a long way" malt - I wouldn't use much of that but a small percentage could add a nice dimension to something with fruity hops. I had to look up the HBC-472 hops and am wondering if they'd be okay mixed with the other hops you list or would muddy things up a bit. Their description as coconut, vanilla, and woody sounds like something I might not risk throwing in with other more known flavors of fruits that the other hops will bring. The other 3 hops would for certain play well together so why not go for something big and fruity?
Shawn Crawford  -  Rio Rancho, NM.  
 BJCP, Worthogs Homebrew Club of New Mexico

Life is good. Beer makes it gooder.

Offline AstroJim

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2020, 07:05:38 pm »
Sounds like a nice haul! If it was me I'd probably be looking at some kind of take on an American pale or IPA, where I wouldn't be afraid of using a goodly portion of Munich in the grist with a bit of honey malt for richness. I've found honey malt to be an "a little goes a long way" malt - I wouldn't use much of that but a small percentage could add a nice dimension to something with fruity hops. I had to look up the HBC-472 hops and am wondering if they'd be okay mixed with the other hops you list or would muddy things up a bit. Their description as coconut, vanilla, and woody sounds like something I might not risk throwing in with other more known flavors of fruits that the other hops will bring. The other 3 hops would for certain play well together so why not go for something big and fruity?

Thanks for the ideas!

I grow my own chinook hops, and at the end of last summer on harvest day I brewed an American IPA.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 07:11:05 pm by AstroJim »

Offline ravenwater

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2020, 07:49:05 am »
You're welcome AstroJim. You've got some good raw materials to work with - enjoy something delicious!
Shawn Crawford  -  Rio Rancho, NM.  
 BJCP, Worthogs Homebrew Club of New Mexico

Life is good. Beer makes it gooder.