General Category > Ingredients

CDA Carafa Special Use

(1/4) > >>

alikocho:
I've been reading up on the Cascadian Dark Ale thing. I want to brew one, not least as they are only starting to emerge in the UK. There's some suggestion of only adding the Carafa Special at the start of sparging, and that the sparge temps tend to be quite low. I can see that this might be to avoid too much roast coming through (although I would quite like a Schwarzbier-esque roastiness), but I have a few queries:

1. Will adding at the start of sparging only allow for colour, and actually contribute little to gravity or flavor?
2. Is there going to be a significant difference between fly and batch sparging on this?
3. Should I just relax and throw it in the mash at the start?

dbeechum:
Let's see...

1) Carafa generally contributes so little gravity that it's almost useless to think of it. You'll get a little flavor, but not a lot.
2) Not that I can think of
3) And yeah, that would be me, but it's an interesting difference to test.

mabrungard:
The decision to add Carafa at the beginning or end of the mash can be partially answered by looking at your water.  If your brewing water has moderate to high alkalinity, I would recommend adding it at the beginning to help consume the alkalinity.  If the brewing water is low alkalinity (like RO, DI, or rainwater) then you should delay adding the carafa until the end.   

cheba420:
I just brewed a W-10 Pitch Black IPA clone and it turned out AWESOME!!! Just threw all of the grains in the mash tun and let it ride. The beer turned out excellent, I got great reviews and cant wait to brew it again. The Carafa was right in there with everything else.

Hope you're turns out great as well!

Thirsty_Monk:

--- Quote from: mabrungard on February 09, 2011, 12:23:52 PM ---The decision to add Carafa at the beginning or end of the mash can be partially answered by looking at your water.  If your brewing water has moderate to high alkalinity, I would recommend adding it at the beginning to help consume the alkalinity.  If the brewing water is low alkalinity (like RO, DI, or rainwater) then you should delay adding the carafa until the end.   

--- End quote ---

Not sure if I fallow the argument.
I add Carafa Special at the end of the mash if I want to minimize roasted notes.
I adjust water to to mash in Pre Carafa SRM.
It appears to be working pretty good.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version