Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: This one's for Oscar  (Read 5134 times)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: This one's for Oscar
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2011, 10:34:06 am »
I used to get nervous, then I figured, what's the point?  It's out of my hands, I've got to trust all of the people involved to get me back on the ground safely.

Now I often sleep through landings. :)

But after seeing that video oscar, I agree, you guys deserve a raise! 
How much do they get paid?
Less than guys on wall street whose job is to push money around. ;)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2011, 10:37:39 am »
I used to get nervous, then I figured, what's the point?  It's out of my hands, I've got to trust all of the people involved to get me back on the ground safely.

Now I often sleep through landings. :)

But after seeing that video oscar, I agree, you guys deserve a raise! 
How much do they get paid?

I did a quickie search and landed on this... http://blogs.wsj.com/middleseat/2009/06/16/pilot-pay-want-to-know-how-much-your-captain-earns/

I'm not surprised some get paid poorly- but it strikes me this isn't a profession where people say "I'm so sick of flying planes!"
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2011, 11:43:44 am »
Interesting.  I'd have thought pilots got paid a lot more than that.  200k isn't bad, I don't suppose.  But that's the top...to think that athletes get paid MILLIONS...for what?  To entertain us?  It's ridiculous.  They're living their dreams AND getting paid more than anyone else in the world to do it.  Ludicrous. 
Jesse

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2011, 12:09:07 pm »
One hedge fund manager got paid about the same as every player salary in the NFL combined!  He probably got more, I'm assuming every team hit the salary cap.

http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2010/04/top-10-hedge-fund-managers-2009-salary/

Yes, that says $4 BILLION dollars.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2011, 12:18:30 pm »
One hedge fund manager got paid about the same as every player salary in the NFL combined!  He probably got more, I'm assuming every team hit the salary cap.

Willie Sutton's saying is still true.  "That's where the money is".

Professional atheletes are Millionaires playing for Billionaires (for the most part).
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2011, 12:21:21 pm »

And that was in 2009! Jeez wasn't the country about to go belly up? So they make obscene money no matter what happens- coming and going. BTW last night I was told in a round about way that my job may be going away in three years. In three years!? I went to bed early on that one...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2011, 12:22:00 pm »
Interesting.  I'd have thought pilots got paid a lot more than that.  200k isn't bad, I don't suppose.  But that's the top...to think that athletes get paid MILLIONS...for what?  To entertain us?  It's ridiculous.  They're living their dreams AND getting paid more than anyone else in the world to do it.  Ludicrous. 

And then there are movie actors...  the pay to skill ratio there has got to be the highest of all.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2011, 12:38:57 pm »

And that was in 2009! Jeez wasn't the country about to go belly up? So they make obscene money no matter what happens- coming and going.
Buy low, sell high.  IIRC he bought bank stocks at the bottom and made a killing when they came back.

BTW last night I was told in a round about way that my job may be going away in three years. In three years!? I went to bed early on that one...
3 years?  A lot can happen in that time . . . glad you're not stressed about it.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2011, 01:53:42 pm »

And that was in 2009! Jeez wasn't the country about to go belly up? So they make obscene money no matter what happens- coming and going.
Buy low, sell high.  IIRC he bought bank stocks at the bottom and made a killing when they came back.

BTW last night I was told in a round about way that my job may be going away in three years. In three years!? I went to bed early on that one...
3 years?  A lot can happen in that time . . . glad you're not stressed about it.

Speaking of stress, I've had more than my fair share lately.  My wife was "let go" from her job of 12 years because her new financial officer wanted to go a different direction.  My income has been less than adequate lately.  I may not make it to the NHC this year if this keeps up.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2011, 01:56:56 pm »
[And then there are movie actors...  the pay to skill ratio there has got to be the highest of all.

As an actor I gotta take an exception to that! While I agree that teachers and airline pilots, firefighters, cops etc. should be paid more than actors I don't think you can say a good actor has less skill than a good football player. It may not be physical skills but skills it is! years of study that never end. now bad actors... that's another story.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2011, 02:45:26 pm »

Speaking of stress, I've had more than my fair share lately.  My wife was "let go" from her job of 12 years because her new financial officer wanted to go a different direction.  My income has been less than adequate lately.  I may not make it to the NHC this year if this keeps up.

That sucks. Loyalty means next to nothing these days.     >:(
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2011, 02:54:14 pm »
I remember flying in and out of a little island (cay) in the bahamas.  the runway (grass) was at a small bonefishing club and was underwater except at low tide. 
Don AHA member

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2011, 11:04:01 pm »
Seen that..... Very well done. Yes, sometimes it looks like that....then sometimes it looks like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPQhyLdWajk&feature=related

You need a raise...

I'll bite my tongue... ;D

I'll bet I'm not the only one here that would like to know why not. Responsibilty for hundreds of human lives and tens of millions in equipment should be well rewarded. (awaits response)
Let's just say that at this time I have a tabula rasa for my opinion on pilots. I am excited for my company
that is in the process of merging with Continental. I have started to look pilots in the eye and actually smiling.

It has been a dark time for my airline regarding pilots since the summer of 2000. A hellish summer of work.
Working with them had been quite a challenge for someone who, for the most part, is laid back.

There is a Disney's Bambi quote floating in my head. Thumper said it.
I have nothing personal against pilots. There are many good ones out
there. But working for an airline and staying on the ground, during
some rough times lets just say the fissure between departments
grows beyond a chasm. It's like the Snicker's commercials, divas
when they're hungry? Only regarding something, anything else sometimes...
Ruben * Colorado :)

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2011, 11:29:54 pm »
Try working with Surgeons and their hyper-inflated egos. :P

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2011, 05:48:09 am »
I am excited for my company
that is in the process of merging with Continental.

Well, if you are a bean counter that doesn't think people are a company's most important asset and need to be kept happy you will LOVE our management. (Hint: SWA/DAL is NOT the model.)

The day this deal was inked they showered themselves with multi, multi million dollar bonuses and 50% pay raises. We got a cheap pin and a cookie.....IF you were in the right place at the right time.

Mr Smisek stated, day 1 on national television, standing next to Mr Tilton, that he doesn't need the pilots to do this thing. My contract is more than 2 years overdue and is violated on a daily basis, he is now on record as ignoring a federal arbitrator's ruling regarding scope violations. "So sue me" is his attitude

500 people just got the sack at the puzzle palace in IAH.

This is NOT going to be pretty. Most of the people here are NOT happy, AT ALL.

Let's talk about beer.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 06:07:20 am by oscarvan »
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....