Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Selling home brewed beer, is it illegal?  (Read 3632 times)

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
Re: Selling home brewed beer, is it illegal?
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2011, 03:40:22 pm »
Cody, I want you to know I was only joking about the homeland security and being watched... but the rest is true, as everybody else is pointing out.. 

Its interesting, I think we see this same type of question asked every so many months or every year anyway... right after somebody gets a few good brews under their belt... they're ready to mark their spot in the world.   :D   :D  I don't think I ever did that... did I?   ::)  :D

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2011, 04:11:15 pm »
Deans got a point there.  We take pride in our homebrews.  Nothing wrong with that.
Seems like, at one time or another, we've all stood on the bow of our mashtun and proclaimed "I'm brewmaster of the world!"

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2011, 06:09:38 pm »
Seems like, at one time or another, we've all stood on the bow of our mashtun and proclaimed "I'm brewmaster of the world!"

Every brewday!  ;D
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline ethanjhall

• 1st Kit
  • Hustle Paintball Factory
    • Hustle Paintball
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2011, 06:27:10 pm »
It'll never happen.... You'll get strangled in red tape, and IF you survive that the tax man will finish you off.

It wouldn't appear that you've ever started your own business... If it were easy, everyone would not only do it, but would be good at it.

for that matter there is plenty variety of quality beers at any good store. why spend more to get someone's iffy home brew.

A valid point - but what about the charm of discovering a delicious brew that isn't just the same old beer that anyone can buy at a liquor store, for instance?

Cody, I see plenty of problems with your business plan... you know - the brief 2-3 sentences that you hinted at for us. :) That being said, I know first-hand how powerful and successful your own business can be. My first business ideas were... let's say "less than spectacular."

The nature of shipping dense & fragile items could be cost-prohibitive indeed, so perhaps the exact idea you're thinking of might need some tweaks. If it's like any business plan, it will!

I'd start calling the ATF and asking questions - if you need numbers for a variety of agencies, I would happy to help you out or point you in the right direction. I'd love to hear what you find out, because I'm curious myself. Props for thinking of creative things. Even if none of them work out :)
Otherwise known as Face.