My 5 gallon recipe was as follows:
O.G. 1.104, F.G. 1.000, ABV 13.9%
14 lbs clover honey
2 x 5g sachets of Lavlin D-47 (I now realize that this was probably overkill on the yeast)
I heated 2 gallons of water to 115F and added it to my bucket fermentor. Then, I added the honey and two more gallons of water and mixed in 4.5g each of Fermaid-K and DAP. I rehydrated the yeast in 104F water, along with 10g Go-Ferm. After proofing for 1.5 hours (I realize I should have only let it proof for 15-30 minutes), I pitched the yeast to 80 degree must.
24 hours after pitching, fermentation temp was 75. At this point, I added 2.8g each Fermaid-K and DAP.
48 hours after pitching, fermentation temp was 75. I added 1.8g each Fermaid-K and DAP.
14 days after pitching, the mead hit terminal gravity.
I know I fermented this strain too high. If I use it again, I'll ferment closer to 65. I think I'll probably experiment with backsweetening meads that finish this dry.
What's interesting about this mead is that the aroma is not solvent-like. There is no acetone aroma or anything. It's got a slight apple aroma with a light honey note. But it tastes really hot. I'm thinking this will decrease with age, but it may take several years.