Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: an interesting article about AB-InBev  (Read 3762 times)

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
an interesting article about AB-InBev
« on: October 28, 2012, 08:06:09 pm »
Not sure if anyone has posted this here yet (a quick search didn't turn it up)...
...but anyway, here's a really eye-opening article about AB-InBev.   

http://www.businessweek.com/printer/articles/78040-the-plot-to-destroy-americas-beer
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 08:07:54 pm by The Professor »
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: an interesting article about AB-InBev
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 08:51:42 pm »
Interesting read, thanks.  I think this kind exemplifies the problems with his mindset, where short term gains are valued over long term success.  But long term strategy doesn't get you fat bonuses and big payouts.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 08:37:46 am »
Just read that article before seeing this post.  It is indeed an interesting read.

It made me think that at some point, once they've consolidated so much that they can't squeeze out the increasing returns they want, they will start breaking up and selling off individual brands.  Maybe.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline alcaponejunior

• Brewer
  • Latest creation: Big Smash Saturday
    • alcaponejunior.wordpress.com
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 12:34:24 pm »
Becks did used to be tasty, back before I really got into craft beer.  Nowadays it's a mediocre "C" beer at best.  And yes, you should blame inbev and budweiser for this.

IMO even when inbev/bud has tried to create "craft beers," they wind up just making more crap with the same old fancy marketing techniques.  If they would focus on the beer and stop worrying so much about marketing, the beers would sell themselves. 

From reading this article, I don't see that happening, despite the obvious fact that people are more and more wanting quality beer and not caring about inbev's profit margins.

Personally, I am quite worried that goose island will turn to s*** under bud's control.  we shall see.

And I of course am all about supporting local breweries, and staying a loyal customer of non-big 3 brands like stone.