General Category > Ingredients

Inspired by Oyster Stout...

<< < (2/3) > >>

winnp:
denny: any recollection as to what quantity of mushrooms you had to use to get a good flavor?

boulderbrewer: thanks for the link... I probably should have thought to search around on NB for stuff like that.  Looks like it could be tasty, but I think I'm leaning toward mushrooms for now.

tfries:

--- Quote from: denny on November 04, 2009, 10:28:10 PM ---I "borrowed" an idea from Randy Mosher and have made a wee heavy with chanterelle mushrooms a couple times.  Absolutely delicious!

--- End quote ---

Denny's Wee Shroomy is delicious!

denny:

--- Quote from: winnp on November 05, 2009, 12:33:22 AM ---denny: any recollection as to what quantity of mushrooms you had to use to get a good flavor?

boulderbrewer: thanks for the link... I probably should have thought to search around on NB for stuff like that.  Looks like it could be tasty, but I think I'm leaning toward mushrooms for now.

--- End quote ---

I used about 2.5 lb. chopped and added to secondary.  I tried soaking them in vodka on one batch and adding that, but didn't care for the added alcohol heat and felt it diminished the aroma.  The next year I just brushed the duff off and put them right into secondary.  Fortunately, both were good years for chanterelles and I was able to gather them from my woods.  Otherwise it would have cost me a fortune!  And FWIW, the we heavy recipe was Skotrat's Traquair House clone recipe which AFAIAC is the best wee heavy recipe I've ever run across.

winnp:

--- Quote from: denny on November 05, 2009, 06:22:35 PM ---
--- Quote from: winnp on November 05, 2009, 12:33:22 AM ---denny: any recollection as to what quantity of mushrooms you had to use to get a good flavor?

--- End quote ---

I used about 2.5 lb. chopped and added to secondary.  I tried soaking them in vodka on one batch and adding that, but didn't care for the added alcohol heat and felt it diminished the aroma.  The next year I just brushed the duff off and put them right into secondary.  Fortunately, both were good years for chanterelles and I was able to gather them from my woods.  Otherwise it would have cost me a fortune!  And FWIW, the we heavy recipe was Skotrat's Traquair House clone recipe which AFAIAC is the best wee heavy recipe I've ever run across.

--- End quote ---

Thanks!

1vertical:

--- Quote from: boulderbrewer on November 04, 2009, 10:29:05 PM ---Here is a link to NB forum where a guy used Horseraddish in a beer. He soaked it in everclear rather than mashing it.

http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=78951&hilit=horseradish

--- End quote ---
Howdy, I migrated here with you folks.  Thanks for the mention.  I need to dust off a bottle of that beer and see where
Its gotten to....flavor wise.  Yep I still think I have a couple bottles left.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version