Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Selling home brewed beer, is it illegal?  (Read 3668 times)

Offline cody

• 1st Kit
Selling home brewed beer, is it illegal?
« on: February 11, 2011, 08:19:53 am »
Hey guys, I have an idea to setup a website that would allow home brewers to send there beer in, have it tested, and then sold by us online. However, I'm thinking there are tons of legal issues with the idea, so I turn to you guys for some input. I'm looking for feedback with hard evidence, not just the "Nope its illegal" replies. Thanks a lot everyone!

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
Re: Selling home brewed beer, is it illegal?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 08:48:27 am »
Can't give you 'hard evidence' but having watched a friend and member of our homebrew club go through the startup phases of a bottling microbrewery, I can tell you that there are many legal hoops to jump through for one state let alone on the internet. Labeling alone is a huge nightmare. Alcohol laws vary state by state, but most are very limiting regarding even taking homebrew to someone elses house. Some specify it's ok to take to competitions, others don't. My understanding is that most absolutely don't allow the sale of homebrew.... that is certainly true here in FL.

Good luck, but my advice is give it up unless you want to take on tilting at windmills as your new hobby.
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline cody

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 08:55:32 am »
Thanks for the feedback tumarkin, im leaning towards the idea of giving away your home brew... of course, only to those states who allow it.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 09:09:44 am »
"Hard evidence" is easy to find.  You just need to talk to a lawyer.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 09:12:28 am »
Hi Cody, I hate to sound like a jerk but in a word... NO.  Do you think if you grew tobacco it would be legal to sell it to home rollers?  Same type of question and I think the ATF would be watching you like a hawk.... could be they already are if you've talked it up any with your friends.    :o  You know how the homeland security can do just about anything including listening for "key words" etc in conversations over the phone and on the internet etc.  Be afraid... very afraid.   :o   ;D   :D

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 10:15:15 am »
If it were legal, it would be a very common thing.

Do your resarch.  Start with your state law allowing homebrewing (if you are not in AL or MS).

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 10:21:21 am »
All of the legal problems aside, you're going to have people send you beer so you can test it, and then you're going to send it to consumers?  Shipping twice and testing isn't free, that seems like a lot of added cost even if the beer itself is no cost.  Many breweries don't test every batch of their beers because it is cost prohibitive for small batches, and when most of us are only making 2 or 4 cases at a time that's a huge per bottle cost, approaching $1 or more.  And shipping a 6-pack can easily add another couple of dollars per bottle.

Now add back in all of the legal issues . . .

It's an interesting idea, but I don't see it being popular.  But that's my opinion. ;)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 10:31:54 am »
Here's some interesting info. on a proposed fed legislation.

http://brewerylaw.com/2010/08/proposed-federal-legislation-could-stop-interstate-beer-sales/

I think it's a unique idea with many obstacles. I would advise legal consultation before consideration.
Ron Price

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 11:28:00 am »
Onerous regulations and legalities aside, I don't perceive there to be a "demand" for this service. 
For example:
Let's hypothetically say I wanted to try Denny's Rye IPA or VBIP.
He's already been kind enough to share his recipes with us. 
So, I'd rather take his recipes and brew my own. 
If I really wanted to do a side-by-side comparison, I'd find a way to do so...and contact him directly.
Don't see how a middleman or the exchange of money helps here.
Sorry to be a downer.  I don't see it as a viable business plan.

It isn't like you're selling home-made jam in mason jars via an on-line version of the farmer's market.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 04:07:06 pm by richardt »

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 01:04:13 pm »
It'll never happen.... You'll get strangled in red tape, and IF you survive that the tax man will finish you off.
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 01:12:27 pm »
It'll never happen.... You'll get strangled in red tape, and IF you survive that the tax man will finish you off.

+1
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 01:50:30 pm by maxieboy »
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2011, 01:42:54 pm »
for that matter there is plenty variety of quality beers at any good store. why spend more to get someone's iffy home brew.
Don AHA member

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2011, 01:49:09 pm »
If you've ever been part of a club competition, you know how you have all the leftover bottles of beers that did not make it past the first or second round of a competition.  So what to do with all those bottles?
Our club raffles them off by the six pack but they're hardly worth the price of the raffle ticket, IMO. 

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2011, 01:51:07 pm »
If you've ever been part of a club competition, you know how you have all the leftover bottles of beers that did not make it past the first or second round of a competition.  So what to do with all those bottles?
Our club raffles them off by the six pack but they're hardly worth the price of the raffle ticket, IMO. 
We give them to club members, take as much as you like.  At the very least it's free bottles, but some of them turn out to be quite good.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2011, 02:41:37 pm »
We give them to club members, take as much as you like.  At the very least it's free bottles, but some of them turn out to be quite good.

Once or twice, after asking the organizers politely, I was able to get my second and third bottles back.  I hate waisting good beer on questionable judging. ::)
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995