Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Better bottles  (Read 3095 times)

Offline ethanjhall

• 1st Kit
  • Hustle Paintball Factory
    • Hustle Paintball
Better bottles
« on: February 12, 2011, 02:23:36 pm »
Brewed last night, poured my just boiled 2 gallons of water into my 6 gallon better bottle, forgetting, of course, not to put water over 120* into one...

So, it deformed slightly (I'm happy to post pictures if needed). From my understanding, they're BPA-free, so it shouldn't be a concern on that front. Do I just have a deformed BB that will continually remind me to always add a little HERP with my DERP? Or have I ruined it?

:) Mistakes make it easy to remember a lesson, that's for sure. Just hope it's not too painful of a mistake.
Otherwise known as Face.

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Better bottles
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 07:35:16 pm »
I once ran the hot water coming out of my Immersion Chiller (thinking it had gotten below 170 F or so when it actually had not) into my better bottle and shrunk that Better Bottle from a 6 gallon to a 4 gallon prune bottle. 

I've gone back to plastic fermentation buckets with lids and spigots.  They're easier and cheaper.  I frankly don't need the hassle and expense of the Better Bottles.

Offline ethanjhall

• 1st Kit
    • Hustle Paintball
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 07:50:47 pm »
So, it's just slightly shrunken, or has it possibly contaminated my brew?
Otherwise known as Face.

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 08:50:51 pm »
I doubt you have harmed the wort.  The bottles (I believe) are made with inert plastic, that shouldn't release anything harmful into your brew.  I personally love to use glass over plastic, but I do have a BB and a 6.5 gal plastic bucket type fermenter also. 
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline ethanjhall

• 1st Kit
    • Hustle Paintball
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 08:54:33 pm »
The glass carboys just seem like a HUGE pain in the ass, due to weight, due to fragility. This is literally the only problem I can think of with the better bottles, and it really doesn't seem that unmanageable.

Thoughts from more experienced brewers than myself?
Otherwise known as Face.

Offline pmallory

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 10:06:24 pm »
I bet your beer will be just fine. And if it's not you'll taste it right away. I just started using the BBs also and I love them too just because they're so light.

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 12:40:31 am »
Did this once by accident to a 6 gallon BB, which is now about 5 gallons (CFC water wasn't flowing). I called up better bottle and they told me I'd be fine, as did a petrochemist.

I use them as I have a 3 year old son, and the idea of shattering a glass carboy is terryfying in that context.
Bristol Brewing Circle (BBC)
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/

Offline ndcube

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 10:13:32 am »
Brewed last night, poured my just boiled 2 gallons of water into my 6 gallon better bottle

Why did you need to pour 2 gallons of boiling water into a BB?  Was it to be used for topoff?

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 11:26:41 am »
Brewed last night, poured my just boiled 2 gallons of water into my 6 gallon better bottle, forgetting, of course, not to put water over 120* into one...

So, it deformed slightly (I'm happy to post pictures if needed). From my understanding, they're BPA-free, so it shouldn't be a concern on that front. Do I just have a deformed BB that will continually remind me to always add a little HERP with my DERP? Or have I ruined it?

:) Mistakes make it easy to remember a lesson, that's for sure. Just hope it's not too painful of a mistake.

The beer should be fine.  Gatorade is hot filled into PET bottles, the material of Better Bottles, and I haven't heard any complaints.  Apparently, the PET for Gatorade is more heat resistant than the one for Better Bottles.

Offline ndcube

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 11:37:48 am »

The beer should be fine.  Gatorade is hot filled into PET bottles, the material of Better Bottles, and I haven't heard any complaints.  Apparently, the PET for Gatorade is more heat resistant than the one for Better Bottles.

Now I'm going to have to pour hot water in a gatorade bottle.