Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Aeration for wine versus beer  (Read 1940 times)

Offline cmuzz

• 1st Kit
Aeration for wine versus beer
« on: February 11, 2011, 11:20:08 am »
I’m just returning to brewing mead after a 15 year hiatus during which I have been brewing beer. I notice now that aeration has become a big deal in the treatment of the feeding cycle of mead brewing. Instructions are to aerate with each nutrient addition through the first few days of active fermentation.

Now, in brewing beer, my understanding has always been to aerate the wort before adding the yeast and then no further oxygen should ever be allowed to come in contact with the wort.

I use an aeration wand and oxygen for my higher gravity beers and I was planning on using that with each staggered feeding of the Champaign yeast in my next batch of mead. Just want to be sure I’m on the right track.

Can someone explain why there is a difference here?
Caesar M.

Offline hmbrewing

• Cellarman
Re: Aeration for wine versus beer
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 12:01:34 pm »
Wort, when prepared properly, contains much more nutrients and goodies for the yeasties to feed on. It also contains sugars that are easier for the yeast to break down. Because of this Wort ferments out much quicker with no need of additional nutrients or O2. Must, on the other hand, lacks the nutrients needed for the yeast. Hence the multiple Nutrient additions. As the yeasties try to break down the sugars in the Must, they burn through O2 and yeast nutrient as they start to build the huge colony needed to ferment the Must to completion. So with each nutrient addition, you also want to replenish the O2 supply. However, once the yeast ferment 50% of the sugars in the Must, that's when you typically stop adding nutrients and more importantly O2. Any additional O2 added to the Must after that 50% point will greatly increase your risk of oxygenation. That's why your nutrient additions typically end after about 3-4 days. Hope this helps!
I brew beer, I drink beer...it really is that simple

Offline cmuzz

• 1st Kit
Re: Aeration for wine versus beer
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 12:05:27 pm »
Excellent! Thanks.
Caesar M.