Author Topic: Better bottles  (Read 1715 times)

Offline ethanjhall

• 1st Kit
  • Hustle Paintball Factory
    • View Profile
    • Hustle Paintball
Better bottles
« on: February 12, 2011, 02:23:36 PM »
Brewed last night, poured my just boiled 2 gallons of water into my 6 gallon better bottle, forgetting, of course, not to put water over 120* into one...

So, it deformed slightly (I'm happy to post pictures if needed). From my understanding, they're BPA-free, so it shouldn't be a concern on that front. Do I just have a deformed BB that will continually remind me to always add a little HERP with my DERP? Or have I ruined it?

:) Mistakes make it easy to remember a lesson, that's for sure. Just hope it's not too painful of a mistake.
Otherwise known as Face.

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Better bottles
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 07:35:16 PM »
I once ran the hot water coming out of my Immersion Chiller (thinking it had gotten below 170 F or so when it actually had not) into my better bottle and shrunk that Better Bottle from a 6 gallon to a 4 gallon prune bottle. 

I've gone back to plastic fermentation buckets with lids and spigots.  They're easier and cheaper.  I frankly don't need the hassle and expense of the Better Bottles.

Offline ethanjhall

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
    • Hustle Paintball
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 07:50:47 PM »
So, it's just slightly shrunken, or has it possibly contaminated my brew?
Otherwise known as Face.

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 08:50:51 PM »
I doubt you have harmed the wort.  The bottles (I believe) are made with inert plastic, that shouldn't release anything harmful into your brew.  I personally love to use glass over plastic, but I do have a BB and a 6.5 gal plastic bucket type fermenter also. 
Member, AHA
Member, Brew Brothers of Pikes Peak
BJCP judge# D1248
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline ethanjhall

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
    • Hustle Paintball
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 08:54:33 PM »
The glass carboys just seem like a HUGE pain in the ass, due to weight, due to fragility. This is literally the only problem I can think of with the better bottles, and it really doesn't seem that unmanageable.

Thoughts from more experienced brewers than myself?
Otherwise known as Face.

Offline pmallory

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 10:06:24 PM »
I bet your beer will be just fine. And if it's not you'll taste it right away. I just started using the BBs also and I love them too just because they're so light.

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • View Profile
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 12:40:31 AM »
Did this once by accident to a 6 gallon BB, which is now about 5 gallons (CFC water wasn't flowing). I called up better bottle and they told me I'd be fine, as did a petrochemist.

I use them as I have a 3 year old son, and the idea of shattering a glass carboy is terryfying in that context.
Bristol Brewing Circle (BBC)
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/

Offline ndcube

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 10:13:32 AM »
Brewed last night, poured my just boiled 2 gallons of water into my 6 gallon better bottle

Why did you need to pour 2 gallons of boiling water into a BB?  Was it to be used for topoff?

Offline kramerog

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 11:26:41 AM »
Brewed last night, poured my just boiled 2 gallons of water into my 6 gallon better bottle, forgetting, of course, not to put water over 120* into one...

So, it deformed slightly (I'm happy to post pictures if needed). From my understanding, they're BPA-free, so it shouldn't be a concern on that front. Do I just have a deformed BB that will continually remind me to always add a little HERP with my DERP? Or have I ruined it?

:) Mistakes make it easy to remember a lesson, that's for sure. Just hope it's not too painful of a mistake.

The beer should be fine.  Gatorade is hot filled into PET bottles, the material of Better Bottles, and I haven't heard any complaints.  Apparently, the PET for Gatorade is more heat resistant than the one for Better Bottles.
Brewers of South Suburbia
Brixie's Brewers
Oak Park Homebrewers

Roger Masson

Improved batch sparge and parti-gyle calculator (v.1.6)

Offline ndcube

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 11:37:48 AM »

The beer should be fine.  Gatorade is hot filled into PET bottles, the material of Better Bottles, and I haven't heard any complaints.  Apparently, the PET for Gatorade is more heat resistant than the one for Better Bottles.

Now I'm going to have to pour hot water in a gatorade bottle.