Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Too much foam  (Read 16242 times)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
Re: Too much foam
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2011, 01:57:58 pm »
You know what I think the problem was?  The orientation of the dip tube.  I tore the keg apart, cleaned everything and nothing came out of the tube, put in cleaner, pressurized the keg and it was pretty much exactly the same flow rate.  I gave the ball lock a 1/8 turn looser with the wrench and things started pouring normally.  Can you have it too tight?
I'm thinking that the down tube angle was wrong last time and when I put it together as well and it was forcing beer through a small opening instead of picking it up freely.  I may just take a 1/4 inch off the tube and see if that makes a difference but I sure saw that when I turned it slightly it started working.

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
  • ---Michael Dieterle--------- ---Seattle, WA
    • Beer Monger - Adventures In the Wonderful World of Beer.
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2011, 02:10:56 pm »
Cornelius kegs have a 'dimple' in the bottom.  You want to make sure the dip tube is allgined /w that dimple so there's a bit of space betwee the bottom of the dip tube & the bottom of the keg.  

The next time you re-insert the dip tube, take care to note where the bottom end sits when it's all the way in.  Put it in the dimple.  
Beer Monger's Blog
Follow my Beer Monger page on Facebook!

Drink responsibly and stay safe out there.

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2011, 03:06:43 pm »
Cornelius kegs have a 'dimple' in the bottom.  You want to make sure the dip tube is allgined /w that dimple so there's a bit of space betwee the bottom of the dip tube & the bottom of the keg.  

The next time you re-insert the dip tube, take care to note where the bottom end sits when it's all the way in.  Put it in the dimple.  
Thank, I see the dimple.  I really don't think that this is the right tube for this keg although I can't see them making that many different ones. Even in the dimple it wasn't working that well. Either way, it's 1/4 shorter now than it was and it's working fine. I guess that's the problem with "reconditioned" kegs.  Maybe they're not always matched parts.

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2011, 11:54:00 am »
I guess that's the problem with "reconditioned" kegs.  Maybe they're not always matched parts.

Would not surprise me. The keggies I buy still have a little soda in them. I'll mess with them myself, thank you.
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....