General Category > Yeast and Fermentation

Please help me identify this organism.

(1/3) > >>

enso:
I realize I won't be able to determine exactly what it is, but ballpark would be nice.  I am hoping someone will recognize the characteristics and appearance.  

A brief history:

A couple of years ago I made up a batch of my heather ale.  This time I decided to add some dry heather to the ferementor at the end of fermentation.  In essence "dry heathering"  ;)

Well, in a few days it appeared to be fermenting again.  I had a bit of a krausen along wit all the heather blossoms floating at the top.  Eventually I kegged it.  It started getting funky.  I debated dumping it many times.  Eventually it started to develop some definite pineapple aromas (eventually I came to the conclusion it was a strain of brett...?) and a bit of sourness.  Many times I opened the keg and started to prepare to dump it, but something told me to keep it.  Eventually I bottled what was left from the keg.  Since that time I have become more interested in wild and sour beers to the point where I realized my infected batch was actually a good thing and I want to recreate it somehow.  I had 2 bottles left.  

About 1 week ago I poured the dregs into a small vial of sterilized starter wort and built it up from there whatever it is.  In the beginning it had the pineapple aromas somewhat but it developed into a much more earthy (fresh wet dirt) aromas.  I also streaked a plate for kicks to see what would grow.

I will post the pics in a bit.  I have to find a host that will let me link here.  Flickr doesn't seem to work.

Any of this sound familiar to anyone?

enso:
Okay, I have a slow connection so it taking a while to upload photos.

Here are some shots of the plate I streaked from the starter.  I hope...

Edit: This is mold.  Still trying to culture the organism described above.  Will post updates

hokerer:

--- Quote from: enso on February 13, 2011, 11:11:06 AM ---Okay, well I tried google picassa but it is not loading the picture on my connection, so I have no idea if it showing up.    :-[

--- End quote ---

Is this the one you're trying to show?...

enso:
Google seems to be having issues, at least for me.  I can't seem to access anything related to google, however other sites seem to work okay...

I am thinking what I have plated is mold.  If I am correct in my understanding, wild yeasts and bacteria are harder to grow on plain malt/agar solutions.  It was not looking like mold at first but I know see some green and it is getting fuzzy.  I am not sure what is in the starter solution.  Perhaps I was not successful in culturing the dregs...

enso:

--- Quote from: hokerer on February 13, 2011, 01:59:32 PM ---
--- Quote from: enso on February 13, 2011, 11:11:06 AM ---Okay, well I tried google picassa but it is not loading the picture on my connection, so I have no idea if it showing up.    :-[

--- End quote ---

Is this the one you're trying to show?...

--- End quote ---

Yes that is it.  Thanks Joe.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version