Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Almond beer...  (Read 22460 times)

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
Almond beer...
« on: February 09, 2011, 04:59:43 pm »
I have a friend who requested that I make an almond beer.  He really loves a german style wheat.  I have a good recipe for that, but how would I add almond flavor?  Do I use real almonds, or an extract?  How much?  In the mash, boil, or like a dry hop, in a secondary?  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline cheba420

• Brewer
  • Can I get a beer up in here?
    • The Beer Research Institute
Re: Almond beer...
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 05:33:03 pm »
Maybe some amaretto? or Extract. I'd put it in secondary so you dont lose as much of the aroma. How much....no idea. I know that extracts are pretty strong so you'll probably want to just add it in little by little to taste. Hope that helps.
Matt
Mesa, AZ.

On Tap: Vanilla Porter, Belgian Blonde, Saison, Black IPA, Punkin Porter
Primary: Pale 31 Clone, Raspberry Cider
Secondary: Vanilla Porter
Conditioning: Brett IPA
Bottles:Mosaic Wheat
On Deck: Flanders Red, Berliner weisse, Punkin Saison, Saison Brett

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 10:44:01 pm »
I like the amaretto idea.  But since you will probably want to dose in secondary, I'd do a trial with some store bought hefeweizen and try amaretto and extract in a glass first.  That will give you an idea of which is better, how much you'll need, and if it makes a good pairing.

<edit>fixed typos - all of them hopefully
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 10:19:33 am by tschmidlin »
Tom Schmidlin

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 08:45:31 am »
You could toast the almonds and add them to the mash. It wont be a strong flavor but it will make it interesting. You could also buy the almond coffee flavoring and add it at bottling/kegging time.
Phoenix, AZ

Offline akr71

• Brewmaster
  • Beer Ain't Drinkin' - Mojo Nixon
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 08:57:06 am »
I like the amaretto idea too.  I would be concerned about the fat & oil content if using real almonds, unless head retention is no big deal.
Andy

Amherst, NS - Canada

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 08:06:16 am »
I would try almond extract -- and go super easy on it.  An eighth of a teaspoon might be all you need for 5 whole gallons.  Maybe 1/4 teaspoon.  Add a little at a time on bottling/kegging day until it tastes subtle and not IN-YOUR-FACE -- it could be very very overpowering to the point of disgust if you are not careful.

I've tasted a certain almondy nuttiness in German lagers such as Oktoberfest, so personally I think that would be an even better matchup for style than a hefeweizen that already has a lot going on with the clove and banana flavors.  But it might be worth a shot, who knows.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline gimmeales

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 03:32:34 pm »
Anyone else think that Amaretto doesn't actually taste like Almonds?  I never thought the two did.  Might want to confirm what flavor he's really after.

I know that home-toasting the nuts goes a long way to removing the fats that people are concerned about.  I know of a couple Pro Brewers who've gone this route with great success (i.e. no head-retention issues).  One is a local brewery who's making very solid beers, the other was Ron Jefferies from Jolly Pumpkin.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 03:40:22 pm »
Anyone else think that Amaretto doesn't actually taste like Almonds?  I never thought the two did.  Might want to confirm what flavor he's really after.

I know that home-toasting the nuts goes a long way to removing the fats that people are concerned about.  I know of a couple Pro Brewers who've gone this route with great success (i.e. no head-retention issues).  One is a local brewery who's making very solid beers, the other was Ron Jefferies from Jolly Pumpkin.

I always thought it was cherry and almond.

And some people throw toasted pecans in the mash. Don't think it's enough to affect head formation or retention.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 10:58:55 am »
Thanks, every one!  Good info and ideas.  I talked to my buddy, and we thought maybe a simple blonde ale?  @dmtaylor, I think you're right about the hefe.  @gimmeales  I always thought amaretto tasted like maraschino cherries more than almond.  Since we're just experimenting with this, head retention is not a big issue yet, but if it works, then I'll probably have to figure that one out.
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 07:51:16 am »
Ha!  I made homemade maraschino cherries last year, and the secret ingredient was none other than... almond extract!  The cherries tasted great without the extract, but with it, boy oh boy, THAT'S the secret flavor in all the commercially made maraschinos.

The fact of the matter is, both almonds and cherry pits contain cyanide compounds that provide the "cherry" flavor.  Almonds develop the flavor more as they age and turn stale.  And yes, I said cyanide.  In sufficient quantities, either old aged almonds or cherry pits can be poisonous, but only dogs and other small animals might make the mistake of eating way too many -- humans seem too large and intelligent to be affected very much.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.